• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Cannot turn on Mail Service and strange 'Bad sequence of commands' error message

D

David Champion

Hello :)

I have just discovered the wonders of Plesk, but sadly, cannot switch on my Mail Service. It appears to show 'off' but be greyed out.

I host elsewhere and have just changed the nameservers to point at a new hosting company which has a Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 control panel attached to it. When I go to Mail on the left and then the Mail Settings tab it shows as 'Off'. 1.PNG

I go to Activate/Deactivate on the tab above and select the option to Enable, but even after a 'Success' message, the Mail Service still shows as 'Off'.

2.PNG

I have DNS Zones set up to handle emaill using my 'old' registrar. Old being the company I was with originally, where I have entered the nameservers of the new hosting company where I get this hosting package with Plesk. I have made the mail accounts that the website uses to send email on the Plesk control panel, as advised by my 'new' hosts. When I go to send email from the form on the website I get this error:

Bad sequence of commands. The server response was: This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined for this server.

This to me, sounds like it is because the service is switched off, but how can I reinstate it? Non-local would mean its trying to look for the mail elsewhere, right? But I have the email accounts set up locally, just with a control panel that can't seem to show the Mail Service as 'on'.

So grateful for any advice :)

Thanks so much

-David

Back