• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Can't login to SSH as root

Oldiesmann

Basic Pleskian
I am trying to migrate to a new VPS. The problem is the source server somehow got configured so that the default SSH user is a regular user (with sudo access) called "ubuntu". I followed the instructions at Resolved - What steps need to be taken to enable SSH root access through the SSH terminal extension? to enable SSH access for root but it still won't work (I just get "permission denied"). I did get SSH keys set up (so I can login via SSH from my target server to my source server by entering an SSH key password), but the migrator still doesn't work (maybe because of the password requirement?). I still have almost a week and a half until my source VPS renews so I have time to figure this out still, but I've already spent several hours working on this and it's driving me crazy.

Plesk on the source server was installed via SSH after the VPS was initially configured. Plesk on the target server was installed automatically from the start and has root access for SSH by default.

The article describes how to create an exception for localhost. However, you do not want an exception for localhost but real root login permissions. Simply set root login permission to "yes" in your SSH configuration file, restart SSH daemon afterwards.

Back