• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

CentOS 5 newbie install

I have done some checks prior to the main server install, and found that CentOS 5 doesn't come in ia64 format yet, which is what my PowerEdge 3250 is.

So I'm going to have to use CentOS 4.5 ia64 version for now.

I have a question. I have found out that the LSI Logic SCSI Controller in my PowerEdge 3250 isn't true hardward RAID and doesn't support hot swap on the drives.

Would it be better to use its limited software RAID features (not that software RAID is reliable!) or would it be better to run some kind of automated back up script to copy the database, user files, plesk files and so on to the second drive once a day.

Matt

Ouch, ia64 huh... I have worked with them before on E7000's... never again. If you can get some other CPU like an x86_64, do it.

Performance, nobody optimizes anything for ia64. A lot of packages tend to be i386 in compat mode. Driver support is nearly non-existent. What you're getting (best case) is a slower, less stable i386 system that uses at least twice the amount of ram for any regular operation.

Tell me that it isn't using EFI to boot at least.

Ok I won't :)

Nah it is. Oh god what have I done.

I thought it was going to be some kinda 64bit system. It has got 1GB of memory, 2 x 72GB SCSI U320 drives, redundent psu (x2).

The idea is to get CentOS on it, Plesk and move my domains from the vps I run at the moment onto this system.

I don't know if I can change the cpus, or what ones to go for.

Oh dear.

Here's a link to the sales buff/spec sheet http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/3250_specs.pdf

Mine is a dual 1.4GHz dual core with 4MB cache per processor.

Matt

Back