• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

CentOS 8 support

I had some weird firewall problems on CentOS 8 and Obsidian (like users being banned for no reason - wrong detection). I didn't had time to investigate further but something was definitely off. I will post here once when i find time.

Update: Before i continue i want to clarify that i am speaking about CentOS 8 and Obsidian.

By reading log files for now i am pretty sure Web Firewall is doing problems on wordpress installations. It is triggering false positives and making some plugins unusable so whole websites can be broken. But we knew that already. Obsidian staff warned us about this in release note.

I'll see myself can i tweak it.

So until further development is made: in case you are getting wordpress errors on CentOS 8.1 and Obsidian (it depend on theme and plugins used), websites not working and so on. Try to see your Fail2Ban IP list - it is very possible you are added to the Jails and being banned.

Also set up ModSecurity to detection only and monitor your logs.

As soon as i unban myself and switch to Detection only - all wordpress websites are running normal. Try using Wordfence instead. Just make sure to completely turn off their LIVE TRAFFIC feature and set it to low resource scanning.

CentOS8: Hi, my name is Cent...!
Plesk: I know who you are.
CentOS8: Ok, Do you support me and my packages?
Plesk: Yes, kinda , with some limitations.
CentOS8: What !Why?
Plesk: ...I don't know you very well, I don't fully trust you..
CentOS8; Are you serious? ppl waited me for too long.
Plesk: I know, that's why I need more time with you + 1mtr distance. I trust your older brother CentOS7.
CentOS8: Fine! I have some good members here in your forum, they will report all my mistakes until CentOS7 end of life date.
Plesk: Good luck.

CentOS8: Hi, my name is Cent...!
Plesk: I know who you are.
CentOS8: Ok, Do you support me and my packages?
Plesk: Yes, kinda , with some limitations.
CentOS8: What !Why?
Plesk: ...I don't know you very well, I don't fully trust you..
CentOS8; Are you serious? ppl waited me for too long.
Plesk: I know, that's why I need more time with you + 1mtr distance. I trust your older brother CentOS7.
CentOS8: Fine! I have some good members here in your forum, they will report all my mistakes until CentOS7 end of life date.
Plesk: Good luck.
Actually that was funny if it was under spirit of a friendly joke :)

Back