• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

CentOS 8 support

Haven't tried it yet myself. I understand Docker limitation (though they did released new changelog yesterday Change Log for Plesk Obsidian)

I am not clear (so asking here) does fail2ban work on CentOS 8 with Plesk or not? Has anyone tried it?

Also does anyone know on what basis Atomic release new stuff? Like will we wait one year for their updated ModSecurity rules? Less?

Also does anyone know on what basis Atomic release new stuff? Like will we wait one year for their updated ModSecurity rules? Less?

We have had some issues in the past with Debian 9 and Atomicorp, once Plesk was supported on Debian 9.
It took quite a while (months, almost a year) before Atomicorp was available.
I certainly hope Atomicorp works faster with CentOS 8 support.

We have had some issues in the past with Debian 9 and Atomicorp, once Plesk was supported on Debian 9.
It took quite a while (months, almost a year) before Atomicorp was available.
I certainly hope Atomicorp works faster with CentOS 8 support.
Thanks. Fingers crossed that we won't have to wait so long.

Anyone tried Fail2Ban on CentOs 8 + Obsidian ?

Just letting you all know imunify360 is not supported on centos 8 as of yet looks like il have to cancel my subscription until its supported

installation went well no problem as of yet

Managed to successfully restore all my databases and websites including WordPress sites via the backup manager with no problems via my remote backup files and it was rather quick

Full fresh install and setup with all the system tweaks, and custom settings and website restores in 4hrs

my suggestion have both machines running and do a like for like visual comparison of what you had before moving to centos8 made getting it fully functionaling alot quicker

Ok for anyone who wants to get docker working here are the following steps i did to get it to work

Screenshot_2020-03-21 Plesk Obsidian 18 0 25.png

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A WORKAROUND AND YOU DO SO AT YOUR RISK ( Also note this is for Plesk obsidian centos 8 )

I MYSELF AND OTHERS RECOMMEND THIS DOES NOT GO INTO A PRODUCTION SERVER AND IS FOR ONLY TESTING AND DEVELOPING MACHINES

in the terminal, if you have already installed the Plesk docker extension the remove it

plesk bin extension --uninstall docker

now let's install the repo

dnf config-manager --add-repo=https://download.docker.com/linux/centos/docker-ce.repo

now let's install docker

dnf install docker-ce --nobest -y

now let's start it and enable it

systemctl start docker
systemctl enable docker

ok now lets install the plesk docker extension

plesk bin extension --install docker

now lets add root the to the docker group

usermod -aG docker root

now let's retart docker

systemctl restart docker

now lets chmod the sock

chmod 666 /var/run/docker.sock

(edit here extra steps it would seem you have to do the following after the above or it will stop working eventually)

rm /etc/yum.repos.d/docker-ce.repo

dnf clean all

dnf update

now log into the Plesk control panel open the docker and all is good its working

but you need to complete one last thing otherwise every time you reboot you will need to run chmod 666 /var/run/docker.sock

go to tools and settings/ scheduled tasks and add the following

task type = run a command

command = chmod 666 /var/run/docker.sock

run = cron style = @Reboot

now reboot the machine if when it boots up you login to the panel and you access docker and you receive no permission denied then you have successfully followed these instructions and you now have docker on Plesk centos8

every time you add another user to the docker group make sure you do the repeat all the steps from add user to docker group down particular chmod 666 /var/run/docker.sock or you will receive a permission denied when you tried to access the docker page in the control panel

I hope this helps if you have any question i will try to answer them and give support

Kirk Macdonald

Last edited:
Hi guys following up on the above with docker.

Do you think there would be high demand for discourse on Plesk

The reason i ask this is i successfully have a working discourse procedure to get it working with Plesk i worked out how to do it about 8 months ago

i was working on an extension plugin to get it to work so everyone could install it and edit the config files and spin up the discourse instances via GUI but it's my 1st plugin and it's hard i got halfway through it and lost the indexcontroller file so i have to start again.

So i reckon around 3 more months for completion so what do you think you wanna see a discourse plugin for Plesk centos 8

Ok for anyone who wants to get docker working here are the following steps i did to get it to work

View attachment 16549

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A WORKAROUND AND YOU DO SO AT YOUR RISK ( Also note this is for Plesk obsidian centos 8 )

in the terminal, if you have already installed the Plesk docker extension the remove it

plesk bin extension --uninstall docker

now let's install the repo

dnf config-manager --add-repo=https://download.docker.com/linux/centos/docker-ce.repo

now let's install docker

dnf install docker-ce --nobest -y

now let's start it and enable it

systemctl start docker
systemctl enable docker

ok now lets install the plesk docker extension

plesk bin extension --install docker

now lets add root the to the docker group

usermod -aG docker root

now let's retart docker

systemctl restart docker

now lets chmod the sock

chmod 666 /var/run/docker.sock

(edit here extra steps it would seem you have to do the following after the above or it will stop working eventually)

rm /etc/yum.repos.d/docker-ce.repo

dnf clean all

dnf update

now log into the Plesk control panel open the docker and all is good its working

but you need to complete one last thing otherwise every time you reboot you will need to run chmod 666 /var/run/docker.sock

go to tools and settings/ scheduled tasks and add the following

task type = run a command

command = chmod 666 /var/run/docker.sock

run = cron style = @Reboot

now reboot the machine if when it boots up you login to the panel and you access docker and you receive no permission denied then you have successfully followed these instructions and you now have docker on Plesk centos8

every time you add another user to the docker group make sure you do the repeat all the steps from add user to docker group down particular chmod 666 /var/run/docker.sock or you will receive a permission denied when you tried to access the docker page in the control panel

I hope this helps if you have any question i will try to answer them and give support

Kirk Macdonald

This is very clear. It should indeed work as you showed, but it seems like Docker doesn't officially support CentOS 8 and that's in my opinion why you shouldn't want to use it yet.

Thanks. Fingers crossed that we won't have to wait so long.

Hi Seqoi,
I contacted Atomicorp that replies that RHEL and CentOS 8 already is supported. I contacted the Plesk support with this information and they are currently investigating. Fingers crossed it wont take long :)

Hi Seqoi,
I contacted Atomicorp that replies that RHEL and CentOS 8 already is supported. I contacted the Plesk support with this information and they are currently investigating. Fingers crossed it wont take long :)
Amazing!! Thanks for your report and for your time.

This is very clear. It should indeed work as you showed, but it seems like Docker doesn't officially support CentOS 8 and that's in my opinion why you shouldn't want to use it yet.
indeed yes it is not recommended to do it this way as its not support that i have clearly said PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A WORKAROUND AND YOU DO SO AT YOUR RISK

as @MitchellvB995 has said its not supported at the moment AND I MYSELF RECOMMEND THIS DOES NOT GO INTO A PRODUCTION SERVER AND IS FOR ONLY TESTING AND DEVELOPING MACHINES

Thanks @MitchellvB995 i forgot to mention that

indeed yes it is not recommended to do it this way as its not support that i have clearly said PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A WORKAROUND AND YOU DO SO AT YOUR RISK

as @MitchellvB995 has said its not supported at the moment AND I MYSELF RECOMMEND THIS DOES NOT GO INTO A PRODUCTION SERVER AND IS FOR ONLY TESTING AND DEVELOPING MACHINES

Thanks @MitchellvB995 i forgot to mention that
I am not sure whether this is sarcastic or not. Thanks, I guess?

Ahhh, okay. Yeah, I really can't wait to be able to use Docker again. Better Docker hurries a bit.
yes me and all as i need this in production server my self as i have been working on few extensions for docker and i cant finalize the config files for them until i know they work with a final working release

Hi, In case it helps anyone using CentOS8 + Obsidian. I've discovered (the hard way) that Apache mod_watchdog seems to now be a required module.

Not sure why, but turning it off made all sites return nginx bad gateway error.

Further to my discoveries of running Plesk Obsidian on CentOS8, it also seems that SELinux set to "enforcing" breaks all customers hosted sites. As soon as I switch on enforcing a get a permissions error for /var/www/vhosts/system/example.com/php-fpm.sock

Couldn't see any mention of this in the release notes -- so, any word on whether there's a fix in the pipeline for CentOS8 + Obsidian with SELinux Enforcing?

Back