• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question CentOS is shifting focus from CentOS 8 to CentOS Stream

Did something changed to the plesk plans? My last information was that rocky-linux will not be supported by plesk.

Having run a VM test of Rocky Linux Beta with Plesk installation (Had to fool installer that the OS was CentOS 8) I'm confident that it will be easy for Plesk to support Rocky Linux ?!
I really hope so as I have recently migrated my VPS to CentOS 8 with Plesk ... coming from a previous Webmin environment which I absolutely loved, Plesk presented a bit of a learning curve as it was more restrictive in what I could do ... I would prefer now to stick with Plesk.
My road map is; eventually Rocky Linux, hopefully with Plesk ... but if not, back to Webmin.
I've just installed Rocky Linux and observed that, as expected, it's just like CentOS8 except with different branding. However, I'm curious how you fooled the Plesk installer that the OS was CentOS8, as the methods I tried didn't work.

Sorry for delay in response - been away and just returned.
I downloaded (wget) the one-click-installer and took a look to see how it validated the os.
It might be possible to just change the installer to set os_name to CentOS etc:- but I found the simplest way to install was to change /etc/redhat-release by linking it to a new file containing "CentOS Linux release 8.3.2011"

I did get Plesk 18.x working on Rocky Linux in the end. I did it by installing about 6 CentOS8 packages before starting the installer.
However, as it's not officially supported, I won't be deploying any VMs using Rocky Linux yet. My purpose in installing it was to gain an understanding of how easy or difficult it would be for Plesk to add support for Rocky Linux. Probably they're concerned whether Rocky Linux might be one of those "here today, gone tomorrow" distributions. Hopefully it's here to stay.

• Love
Reactions: oMG
# dnf install centos-release-stream

IMHO, you should not "upgrade" a production system's OS while there are people using that system... :)

Then what to do now with new servers?

- Install CentOS 8 anyhow and hope for the best?
- Install CentOS 7 and have old server software?
- Switch to something else ... Ubuntu???

Can someone give some good advice with pros and cons maybe?

There is always the RHEL, which might be a good option. We pay for PLESK anyway :)

Hello,

What is the problem to keep centos 8 with plesk after Dec 2021, i assume will be working ok just no security updates etc.
Will Plesk stop support for Centos 8? I do not think so

Hello,

What is the problem to keep centos 8 with plesk after Dec 2021, i assume will be working ok just no security updates etc.
Will Plesk stop support for Centos 8? I do not think so
In the past, when an operating system was end of life, Plesk ceased support and people started having trouble with Plesk updates, because the update manager may not be able to access the formerly available repositories of the now outdated operating system. Plesk default policy is to cease support for products that are end of life.

Hello,

It's a very bad idea to have a system that doesn't get security updates anymore exposed to the internet.
Yes, you can install security updates or workarounds manually, but that requires extended knowledge and will interfere with what Plesk does.

Centos8 in-place conversion to AlmaLinux is fully supported by Plesk,
moreover, we recommend this way to get rid of Centos8 server with Plesk (Centos8 EOL soon)
as it’s stated in Plesk Obsidian 18.0.35 changelog: Change Log for Plesk Obsidian

Ok, thank you for all replies
Almalinux seems incredibly compatible with centos
What i did:
Transferred sites to a newly purchased VPS for a month in order to not have downtime
Reinstalled the dedicated server with almalinux 8.4 + plesk
At almalinux i just updated from the default mariadb 10.3 to 10.5.
Also installed mysqltuner, rdp, cloudflare mod etc exactly as centos 8.
Migrated the sites with plesk from VPS to dedicated. Also tried one to restore from a remote backup, also succesfull
Alma is an electric cheetah as it appears and plesk works very good with it

Back