• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Changing licence key after plesk activation & fdisk -l output

Dukemaster

Regular Pleskian
Hi at all,
first of all I want to apologize for my behavior asking for two problems in one thread with one which hasn't nothing to do with Onyx at first glance. I promise never do it again.

Now, I'm in the right beginning before activating Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 (web admin edition) on Ubuntu 16.04 by provider 1and1 which send me the normal, correct web hosting edition key. Provider made the mistake to confuse the two editions.
They told me exactly this way to use the web hosting licence.
Code:
1. Login to Plesk at https://<host-name-or-IP>:8443 using the administrator credentials.
2. Click the "Tools & Settings" link in the left navigation pane.
3. Click the "License Management" link in the "Plesk" group.
4. Click the "Install Key" icon.
5. Enter the activation code into the corresponding field and click OK.
My problem during last two days was that in the beginning of activating web admin edition it is not the absolute best way, because you have to choose IP and creatinge a subscription. Also too many services/features are activated, like docker, git, dozens of php versions. All this I have to deinstall and installing/deinstalling around 10 features probably could cause problems in db.
Question therefor:
Do I have to observe or change special things to avoid possible problems (later).

Second problem according to Ubuntu 16 and server devices situation.
With Ubuntu 14.04.5 I got the following output of fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x56094f51

But now some points have changed:
With Ubuntu 16.04 I got the following output of fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x7901d0c0

Is the difference in output (eg no cylinders, heads,..) because of the Ubuntu 16 version, or something else?
But the most important question for me is now: Why is there the big difference of nearly 70 GB?

As attachment I put all checks I made according to partition/disk/device.

Sorry for this question. I don't want to activate Plesk before I know everthing is alright with filesystem...

Lots of greets

Attachments

• all Results.txt
    9.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I have similar problem.
my VPS has 60 GB SSD , and I install it with plesk-centos iso.
the automatic partitioning made disk like , I don't recall exact size , but something around 35-40 GB on main disk, which means there were about 20 GB space wasted and lost.

and then I have to reinstall it again by manually set the partition , yet still unsatisfied me somewhat.
I now got 51 GB on main disk , 6GB SWAP and still missing 2 GB space I don't know where it has gone....I guess was set to boot partition or something I don't really understand about it.

I also disabled/removed a lot of service I don't need , like git and docker, looks like there is no problem, and I didn't manually change anything afterwards , regarding your concerns.

But I do observer some remanent process in "top" command , I am not sure , but the name looks like the service or component that has been disabled/removed.

so back to your disk problem
how did you install it ? with clean system and plesk , or plesk integrated ubuntu ISO that downloadable from website ?

Back