• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Cloudlinux + Plesk + Docker

msnet

New Pleskian
Hi there,

I got a question concerning support of docker in plesk with cloudlinux.

Plesk Onyx 17.8
Cloudlinux 7.5

- First of all, cloudlinux is not listed in supported operating systems
src: Using Docker

- Installing docker extensions leads to error in extension: Local Docker nodes cannot be deployed in this environment. [...]
src: Cannot use Docker in Plesk: Local docker nodes can not be deployed in this environment

- A statement from 2016 tells, that docker wont work with cloudlinux:
Upon checking, CloudLinux support has clarified it:
Docker will not run on CloudLinux due to a different kernel design, and there are no plans to support it.

- According to another post, cloudlinux itself is the problem, not plesk. I tried installing docker over ssh and can confirm the error when trying to start docker service:
Docker can't be run on CloudLinux 7.2 even without Plesk. There is fatal error like level=fatal msg="Error starting daemon: Devices cgroup isn't mounted"

- On the other hand, there is a bug installing docker on cloudlinux which supposedly should be fixed. Why should anybody fix a error in installing a extension, that even isnt supported by the system? Especially because the installation fails because of the id of the operating system. Does that mean, docker should run on cloudlinux?
src: Unable to install Docker extension in Plesk on CloudLinux: Unsupported distribution parsed from ID field in /etc/os-release: cloudlinux. Expecting ID="centos" or ID="rhel"

- According to cloudlinux support, docker works with cloudlinux but not with plesk:
The Docker should work in CloudLinux except for the system that running Plesk.
The Docker packages should be available from CL repository.

This leads me to the questions:

1. Is it still valid, that plesk on cloudlinux does not work with docker?
2. How is it possible, that the combination of cloudlinux and plesk (which is highly advertised) is not supporting docker, which was growing fast in the last years for hosting environments?

Thanks for your reply.

I already mentioned your link in my post. I can install the docker extension without any problems. But after successfully installing, the extension only shows:

Local Docker nodes cannot be deployed in this environment. Only remote Docker nodes are available. Refer to this document for more information about the environment suitable for local Docker nodes. You can use remote Docker nodes only if you have paid version of the Docker extension. You can buy the extension here.

That's why I am asking, if Cloudlinux + Plesk + Docker is really not supported.

Ok. Maybe I'll try it one day - but definitely not on a productive server.

The answer to my question therefore is "no, Plesk + Cloudlinux is not supporting Docker".

Back