• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Computer name appearing as name server

David1234

New Pleskian
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help. When i add a new domain to plesk, it puts in the correct Name servers in, but it also adds the computers name into the list and when getting it checked out from intodns.com it flags it saying missing Name Servers.

Into DNS : http://www.intodns.com/beasley-partners.co.uk

I have also attached a screenshot showing what DNS Manager is showing.

Attachments

• DNS Manager.jpg
    DNS Manager.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 27
Hi,
I can confirm that I have got the same issue.
Did you add the server to an active directory somehow?

I dont use AD for the server. But i have got a script now that gets around the problem using powershell and got it running every 30 minutes.

I have that issue too. My server name appears like the third NS on all the subscriptions.
It only appears on the Windows' DNS Manager, though. I cannot see it in the panel. And I can confirm that, this behaviour didn't exist last month. It has something to do with one of the latest microupdates.

Plesk devs, I hope you find a quick solution for that. Not everybody is registering new domains 5-10 times in a month, like me!

I guess there is no way to atomatically revert back the unneeded NS record, because there are actually people who have their computer name as a NS :S
I wonder how a new update will solve the issue. I guess it'll be enough just to fix the code which is creating that NS entry...

Hi all,

This is the script I'm using:

Code:
$zones = Get-DnsServerZone | Select ZoneName

foreach ($line in $zones) {
    $name = $line.ZoneName.ToString()
    if ($name.CompareTo("TrustAnchors") -ne 0) {
        if ($name.Contains("in-addr.arpa") -ne 1) {
            Remove-DnsServerResourceRecord -Zonename $name -RRType "Ns" -Name "." -RecordData "*CHANGE COMPUTER NAME HERE*" -force
        }
    }
}

Using Powershell, it calls up the list of all the Domain Names and targets the Zone Name in the list. Then in that list , it goes though each line while ignoring the default zones that windows automatically makes and runs the Remove-DnsServerResourceRecord on each zonename removing the NS record with the Record Data of the Computer name itself and forces it so it doesn't prompt if it fails.

I have been running this for a week now and there has been no issues. If you do use it, obviously make sure you change *CHANGE COMPUTER NAME HERE* to the name of your Server. e.g for me would of been JUST-DEDI01

Last edited:
I can confirm that I get this same issue as well. I'll be using your script as well (btw, you have a misspelling in line 7 for "Remote-DnsServerResourceRecord", you have Record as Reocrd which threw me off when it didn't work at first). I hope Plesk team will fix that soon

Hello,
My server name is win-gen9ed9rdpp so we use this code:

Code:
$zones = Get-DnsServerZone | Select ZoneName

foreach ($line in $zones) {
  $name = $line.ZoneName.ToString()
  if ($name.CompareTo("TrustAnchors") -ne 0) {
  if ($name.Contains("in-addr.arpa") -ne 1) {
  Remove-DnsServerResourceRecord -Zonename $name -RRType "Ns" -Name "." -RecordData "win-gen9ed9rdpp" -force
  }
  }
}

But get this error in all zones:

Remove-DnsServerResourceRecord : Failed to get . record in xxxxxxxxx.tld zone on WIN-GEN9ED9RDPP server.
At line:5 char:13
+ Remove-DnsServerResourceRecord -Zonename $name -RRType "Ns" -Name ". ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (WIN-GEN9ED9RDPP:root/Microsoft/...rResourceRecord) [Remove-DnsServerRes
ourceRecord], CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : WIN32 9714,Remove-DnsServerResourceRecord

Any idea?

Thanks

If you've already removed the computer name from the record then you will get that error. What I did was have the script saved in a .ps1 file and setup a schedule to execute that script every 30 minutes (of course will get that error but I won't see it since it runs in the background and auto kills itself if the computer name isn't there) so in the off chance I've make dns changes, at the next 30 minute spot it automatically goes through and removes it.

ok shine some light here. Plesk for windows will not work on AD setup server as regular system and this will fix the issue. In plesk installation documentation they do not recommend setup on a ad or on a domain. had the same issue had to redo system. Sorry to be a bummer but it is what it is.
If you did want to try something go to the ad and disable dynamic updates for the main ad group then go to network connections select your connection click properties. Open ipv4 properties click advanced click dns and uncheck register this connections addresses in dns. save and do the same with ipv6 after this is done make sure dynamic updates for that dns group is set to none. Hope this helps

Edit when provisioning dns make sure you edit the dns template in the settings of your control panel if your the admin and make sure that is not in it or setup right

ok shine some light here. Plesk for windows will not work on AD setup server as regular system and this will fix the issue. In plesk installation documentation they do not recommend setup on a ad or on a domain. had the same issue had to redo system. Sorry to be a bummer but it is what it is.
If you did want to try something go to the ad and disable dynamic updates for the main ad group then go to network connections select your connection click properties. Open ipv4 properties click advanced click dns and uncheck register this connections addresses in dns. save and do the same with ipv6 after this is done make sure dynamic updates for that dns group is set to none. Hope this helps
Edit when provisioning dns make sure you edit the dns template in the settings of your control panel if your the admin and make sure that is not in it or setup right

Thanks for your comments but we never Joined server to a domain. I installed plesk on fresh Win2012 Server.

Please choose one of these methods to solve this problem.

1). Change the server Hostname to a Fully Qualified Domain name and register it at the registrar end.
Or,
2). Install "BIND DNS Server" through autoinstaller and switch DNS server by following "Plesk >> Tools & Settings >> Server Components >> DNS Server >> BIND DNS Server". This will reconfigure automatically all DNS zones to BIND.
Or,
3). Remove the entry "NS Server Name" from server manually by following "DNS Manager >> Forward LookUP Zones >> select the domain >> properties "Server Name" >> Remove".

I am sure this will help.

I don't think it's a bug.

When a DNS zone for domain.com is created in Microsoft DNS by Plesk, Microsoft DNS automatically adds an NS records like this:
domain.com ns hostname
where hostname is the Windows hostname of the DNS Server
When dns report requests the list of NS servers, it finds the name "hostname" and, the external service cannot resolve the hostname, unless it is a correct DNS name.
This is the reason why DNS records showing the below error in intodns:
####
Missing nameservers reported by parent

FAIL: The following nameservers are listed at your nameservers as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the parent nameservers (see RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these nameservers are working.If they are not working ok, you may have problems! cizgiteknoloji
####

I have the same problem. I think this isn't a bug, but that only happen in OS > W2008 and W2008 or less not happend.
I think Plesk need make a tools for that like a script when create or change any DNS item.

Back