• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Configuration Help

markcarsonboxz

New Pleskian
I'm new to PLESK ( hadn't heard of it two weeks ago! ) and need some help with the configuration of DNS (BIND) and the 'different' setup I have in mind.

I am administering a VPS with 1and1 with CentOS 5.5 (final). x86_64
Recently updated Plesk to the latest version. Updated all packages.

Last week, I had two options:
1) Image the VPS without Plesk

This would be ideal if the VPS was 'mine'; however future maintenance may NOT be up to me! I would have had to supply n number of guides and instructions (particularly for the day to day administration of an email server)

2) or with Plesk

The plan is to only have one website in for the website I am planning to host. Plus webmail, email server, maybe some sub-domains later.

The problem is I have only one IP address (and cannot get another one!), so setting up a domain name for control panel cannot be an option if I need to share the ipaddress (am I wrong?)

So, do I setup a 'customer' for the website I am planning to host? This will most likely provide the degree of separation for administrator control etc (they have to change a setting on purpose)

(Presently, there are no plans to use Plesk as a hosting CP. However, the ability to create 'Web User' pages will have a benefit.)

DNS
I have DNS setup exactly following the guide supplied from Plesk. (apart from the 2 ip addresses)

mydomain.com. NS ns67.1and1.co.uk.
mydomain.com. A 123.456.789.012
mail.mydomain.com. A 123.456.789.012
ns.mydomain.com. A 123.456.789.012
webmail.mydomain.com. A 123.456.789.012
*.webmail.mydomain.com. CNAME mydomain.com.
ftp.mydomain.com. CNAME mydomain.com.
www.mydomain.com CNAME mydomain.com.
mydomain.com. MX (10) mail.mydomain.com.
123.456.789.012 / 8 PTR mydomain.com.
mydomain.com. TXT v=spf1 +a +mx -all

A single IP Address with 1and1 who also provide the name-servers:
ns67.1and1.co.uk
ns68.1and1.co.uk
..........and if I understand correctly, the VPS (Virtuozzo) also;
*****.onlinehome-server.info

I believe I have configured the required dns with 1and1 including setting-up sub-domains for mail and webmail (aliased to mydomain.com). I will be asking them for PTR etc.

Have I correctly configured the DNS? Do I even need BIND running?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Any comments at all?

Not meaning to bump this to the top, I am in urgent need of an answer to my configuration.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks

Yeah that looks right compared against my own, I have a similar setup.
Not sure about BIND, I thought Plesk used that as it's DNS component. Maybe an admin can help with that.

Back