• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

confirm kernel update?

D

djpate

hello all,

I have a PR7.5 and i would like to install firewall module,
and it asks me if i want to confirm the kernel update, i am not a linux geek so i just wanan make sure nothing bad is going to append

sorry if this looks stupid to you :)
TIA

chris

Only if you are comfortable with kernel updates. I would recommend getting someone with experience to do it if you are not familiar with this. Your provider may be able to help.

ok thanks that what i thought!
So i have to manually update the kernel ?
I'm not really familiar with it but i have no firewall for right now :mad: so i kinda need that module.

thx a lot i installed KISS in a matter of minutes , its up and running...
thx again

You still ought to check the kernel - if it's an old one it's likely to be vulnerable and insecure.

You should ask 1&1 about that then ... I've heard of issues with 1&1 kernel updates.

yep, 1&1 does some crazy stuff with their custom kernel. So no, it is not safe to use the vendor supplied updates with their rh9 systems. Havent tested it yet but I suspect a kernel update on their FC2 systems will work since those support xfs.

well there technical reply are really useless.
I'll probably leave it like that for a moment ...

1and1 and updates

I as well have a server with them and I did update the kernel but I do not dare
reboot because might not come up because they do have a custom kernel settings
to dynamically get an IP based on what you are given because I always change
my /etc/hosts and resolv.conf and always gets re-written.

They also have that feature to boot into safe mode via their control panel
and than mount your drive and recover whatever you need. Every time I
work on the server I back it up, recover it in LA server and than I cross
my finger it boots up.

I've also come across incidents where I only updated just typical
RPMs and rebooted just because and the server would not come up and when it
comes to support forget it because it's useless. They will always re-image
your server which takes 2-3 hours to do so and anther 2-3 hours to upgrade
to a recent panel vs what they are using and than do the psarestore.

Sometimes I get a support/notice in the e-mail about upgrading Plesk and
to read their FAQs but again, it's useless. I haven't even checked their
step by step/howto upgrade to the panel because they are not using/updated
to 7.5.1.

Are there no other providers you can use? There's quite a few decent providers out there, 1&1 don't sound that great.

alternative to 1and1

Have you checked their pricing? The only reason I'm choosing them is because
I was tired of my other colo guy changing the firewall policies and messing
up my DNS..

Another reason is they give you 100 domain lic. vs 30 that I have, give you
spamassasin support, and the coolest thing is the Application Vault.

Most of my clients are freebies, nonprofit or whatever comes by so I don't
think they mind a 1 hour or s downtime every few months.

I think I'm paying $49.99 + $1 for extra IP.. not sure who else provides
that kind of pricing.

1&1

I would have to agree about their support.. or lack of it :(

***THANK YOU PLESK*** for making the key upgrade an automated affair.
The server key upgrade was completely transparent this time.. last time it was a DISASTER!

I sent 1&1 an email asking about the key six weeks before it expired; they waited until the last minute (5 days) to let me know that I had to do a manual upgrade to simply get a new key.

I had 3 days of down time because 1&1 couldn't simply provide a new key. They instead insisted that a manual plesk upgrade be done.. Performing a full system backup across the net took most of the time I had... Good thing I did it, because the installer they provided was broken! I had to use it to restore the server so that the new installer would work.

It took them 3 days to give me a simple shell script to upgrade the key. I lost clients over their poor support. Three days later someone called me asking for my root password to do the upgrade... Whoo! Thanks for jumping on my urgent request 1&1 (NOT!)

Although I complained on multiple levels with them, I never heard as much as 'Were Sorry' from them; Never got a human reply to my support emails (got several automated 'how was our tech support' emails though); Telephone support personnel claimed to be taking action but weren't.. can you tell I do not have high praise for their support (grin)?
The server has been rock solid though, never gone down once in almost a year, and the price is right.

JD

The price sounds like it is all that is right .... for non-profit I can appreciate that they may be fine (or as close as you'll get for $49/mo) ... but for anything else I'd stay away.

I just spoke to 1and1 tech support via phone and inquired if they have had any reports of issues with letting Plesk to the kernel updates and they said "no, we have had no reports or problems with kernel upgrades via the Plesk interface"

Skeptical I am.

Back