• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

confirm kernel update?

Once I upgrade the kernal on my 1&1 root server.

Everything was fine until I rebooted and then that was it.

Could not access the server at all and a re-image was required.

I'll never do it again!

We had a bad experience with a kernel update on a customer machine, but it was not due to Plesk - it was due to a misconfigured yum.conf file. In this case, a Tao Linux machine grabbed a RedHat kernel.

It took about 2 minutes to get it back on track once we looked at the screen to see what it was doing. But it sure caused some minor heart palpatations for a little bit!

I hope this will help folks in the future.

And be sure and get some references on those support guys before signing up for a "great price". Is it really a deal if you don't get the service you need? :)

yum, plesk updates, kernel

I have a 'exclude kernel' in my yum.conf but there is a feature
to upgrade kernel via the control panel which I confirmed all the
updates.

This is what I have in my LILO config..
lxser - active
lx
lxserold
lxold
Red Hat Linux

My Grub,
linux with serial console - active
linux
Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)

So they defently use some sort of custom settings going on...

Hmmm - very strange! Where are you prompted for the "update kernel" question in the CP? ie: at what point in the process, so that we can watch for that as well?

Also, are you using grub, or lilo? In other words, which entries were modified?

at login..

Under Server -> Updater, I have a check box 'Check for updates upon administrator's login to control panel."

I checked mine.

Yes,. we have that checked on our boxes, as well. However, we've never been asked by Plesk to update the kernel. Yum, yes. Plesk, not yet.

Could there be something else at work here, apart from Plesk?

Yes I also have a 1and1 root server and just finished upgrading to Plesk 7.5.1 with no problems. I then wanted to install the firewall module and recieved the kernel update request and stopped. I'm not comfortable enough yet with Linux to perform kernel updates plus my server is hosting several customers websites.

Your definately right about the 1and1 support, it might as well be non existent except for a few knowledgeble reps I have dealt with. If it wasn't for their great prices and products I wouldn't be dealing with them. If only they could get their support together, they would definately have a great overall service.

So about that Kernel upgrade, not a good idea on the 1and1 root servers? What alternative do you suggest? I really want that firewall module. I have setup my own firewall using IP tables but the module seems like a really good way to go. I can't install other options either like the website professional editor without upgrading my kernel.

Any recomendations?

Back