• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Convert excisting domain alias with seperate DNS records to regular domain

mb_martijn

New Pleskian
As the title: Convert excisting domain alias with seperate DNS records to regular domain

We have a main domain and a domain alias, which is set to not sync DNS zone and has it's own DNS records, which point to some external services.
Until now, there was no need for a website and the build in redirect to the main domain did what we needed.

Now we need a website on the alias. So I kind of assumed there would be 'a button to press' to make the alias into a normal domain, seems like a simple action. As we would like to keep the DNS records active and available. But I don't see an option for this. Is this possible and if yes, how?

I don't think there is a one-click solution, see this: Is it possible to convert additional domain or subdomain to main domain in Plesk?

As a workaround:
* Rename your alias domain to something else
* Create a new domain with the former name of the alias domain
* Set up the new domain and when done, remove the old alias domain

Hmmm... ok, your work around makes sense, but for less 'downtime', I guess I would first:
* create a new domain (with a temp name)
* set up de DNS etc.
* Then remove the alias
* Last step rename de temp domain

That should work as well right?

Hmmm... ok, your work around makes sense, but for less 'downtime', I guess I would first:
* create a new domain (with a temp name)
* set up de DNS etc.
* Then remove the alias
* Last step rename de temp domain

That should work as well right?

Sounds sane to me, yep

Back