• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Create new customer without domain

Oh so yet another problem.

OMG, what have these people at Parallels been thinking. What a total disaster product!

I have to agree. They took a panel that was mediocre but usable and absolutely destroyed it. The same question pops up over and over, "Didn't ANYONE try to use this under realistic circumstances before they released it?" I didn't see any information about beta testing and it sure appears it went from lab to public without any. I just don't know where to go from here. This thing is really awful.

Any news on that. Basically I'm having the same problem and while I can try the workaround at least I would like to know if there are any problems with this.

OK, I got what initially looks like a working solution. I take no responsibility for unseen issues if you try this, but upon preliminary testing, it looks like it works.

TO MOVE SUBSCRIPTIONS TO A NEW CUSTOMER:

1. Use the CLI method to create the Customer:
- SSH into your server
- [root@secure ~]# cd /usr/local/psa/bin
- [root@secure bin]# ./client -c <login> -name "<Customer Name>" -passwd "<password>"
- You should see: SUCCESS: The user account '<login>' was created.

2. Log into your CP as admin and change the subscription to the new Customer (called "change subscriber" in in the CP)
- If you are using the server IP for this subscription, it will still say you need to remap the IP but will give you the only choice to remap to the same IP. This is fine, just leave it.

FOR DEDICATED IP ON THE DOMAIN (subscription), you will have to first allow it to remap to the server IP (which will probably break your site temporarily in http, so work fast). Then go to the domain (subscription) settings and grab back that IP from your pool in the IP assignment drop down menu. It should be there as an available IP since you freed it up when you remaped to the server IP. The site probably went to the default page the server shows when a site isn't set up while you were doing this, but should be back online as soon as you re-assign the IP. CHECK IT!
3. Now you have the problem of the users and their email addresses being left under the old Customer. I fixed that by going to the phpMyAdmin panel to change some settings.
- Click on the psa database
- Go to the "clients" table and note the id of the client you just created
- Go to the smb_users table and find all of the users that got left behind and need to be moved over to the new Customer.
- Change the field ownerid to the ID number you got from the clients table for all of the users you want over there.
- I noticed that the User Roles don't come across for things like mail user. It will be OK if you go and re-create any user roles that are missing in the new customer area.

Again, I don't know what land mines are in this workaround. I did a test on my sandbox and it seemed OK. That doesn't really tell what can go wrong in the wild, so I did it for a couple of my smaller cleints whom I know well and asked them to use their accounts as normal then let me know if they saw anything hinky.

Good Luck!

I followed this and it partially works. But I noticed that the user accounts (email users) are working with their old passwords but are not 'assigned' to users for a specific domain instead the user name is in grey displayed on the Mail tab. Problem is that you can't change the password now for this user while the user still has a 'valid' password.
This is all strange.
So I believe I need to create a new user with the same password and then use the old email????

Anyway, nice update from 9.x to 10.x

I will see if I can find a way to get that functionality back. But it really comes back to Parallels needs to rewrite this thing so that it actually works. This is such an obvious task that would be used quite regularly, I still am in shock that they would have missed this.

Thanks Kirk for helping.
I have a big domain and a lot of users. At the moment the domain is still functional but I need to transfer it to the customer control back and do believe that this is a lot of work especially because I don't know the passwords. The customer had managed the domain itself which was no problem before the transition to plesk 10.x
Like you said I'm also puzzled why this hasn't been included in the GUI.
I hope to have some time on thursday to check some Mysql queries to at least make it easier to migrate a chunk of users :)

I just tried this sql query and it worked:

Update smb_users set ownerid='nnn' where login LIKE "%@domainname"

You need to select the smb_users table of the PSA database first.

Now if I could even combine nnn with a further where query it could be more robust.

Before running this query test via:

SELECT *
FROM `smb_users`
WHERE login LIKE "%@domainname"

to see if you have the right users selected via the WHERE clause.

Still to dangerous to be an official workaround. And it's all based on the 'workaround' from Kirk.

Why we still can not create a customer without a subscription in 10.1.1? Is this such a huge problem?

Thanks a lot Parallels. Glad to know your ignoring your customers. If I could easily switch to another platform I would have by now.

Anyone interesting in buying 130 or so hosting clients? I am sick and tired of this. PM me if your interested.

Why don't you see the first post and updates on the first page of this thread, all the necessary information is there.

I ll try Igor but its not directly a bug its a missing feature:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Plesk, 10.1.1, all Systems, x86/x64

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE
You can not create a Customer in Plesk without a subscription but you should because of this cases:
1. you migrated domains from an older version and chose the option to use settings from the new server. then you get a subscription not related to any Customer.
2. You wanna switch an existing subscription to a new user account.

ACTUAL RESULT
Its impossible to create a new customer without a subscription. To handle the two cases described above you have to create a customer with a fake-subscription like fake.com. After this you can delete fake.com and You have a "clean" new Customer you can move your subscription to.

EXPECTED RESULT
It should be possible to create a customer without a subscription to handle the two above mentioned cases.

--------------------------------------------------------------

lhwparis,

Thank you for cooperation. I have forwarded it to developers. Let's wait their answer.

lhwparis beat me to it, but here is another, related problem:

There is no way to assign (or reassign) a customer to a reseller.

ACTUAL RESULT
No result, there is no way to do it.

EXPECTED RESULT
It should be possible to assign (or reassign) a customer to a reseller.

And one more:

When you login as admin to Plesk 10, then click "resellers" and click a reseller, it does not show which customers/subscriptions this reseller owns. If you login directly as the reseller the customers/domains are listed.

ACTUAL RESULT
When you login as admin to Plesk 10, then click "resellers" and click a reseller, it does not show which customers/subscriptions this reseller owns

EXPECTED RESULT
When you login as admin to Plesk 10, then click "resellers" and click a reseller, it ought to list the customer/subscriptions this reseller owns, just like it does when logging in directly as the reseller.

Anybody listening?

both problems are not directly related to the original problem or am i wrong? so i suggest you open new threads where this topics can be discussed. not a good idea to cross discuss several issues in one thread

I though they were similar enough and didn't want to be thread-spamming, but ok, added as separate threads ....

According to developers this feature will be implemented in 10.2 Plesk version.

Back