• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Creating a domain alias with www prefix

iainh

Basic Pleskian
I've seen various threads about this but none really answer what I'm hoping to do.

I have a Plesk Onyx 17.0.17 #21 box running a domain - example.com. I want to be able to create domain aliases of:

a.example.com
b.example.com
c.example.com
etc.

However, Onyx insists on www.a.example.com and that is not what is required. Not all http services are use a www prefix!

I can get what I need by creating a subdomain called <a.example.com> and pointing it at the shared example.com docroot, but this seems a heavy way to do things as a domain alias would seem simpler and 'lighter' in terms of config. I just need different inbound host headers and the one docroot will work it all out from that. I simply need to be able to create multiple fqdn all using the single docroot and I do not want www prefixes...and no, the www, unqualified or no preference setting in Hosting Settings does NOT affect this behaviour.

Is it possible to have non-www prefix domain aliases?

I've seen various threads about this but none really answer what I'm hoping to do.

I have a Plesk Onyx 17.0.17 #21 box running a domain - example.com. I want to be able to create domain aliases of:

a.example.com
b.example.com
c.example.com
etc.

However, Onyx insists on www.a.example.com and that is not what is required. Not all http services are use a www prefix!

I can get what I need by creating a subdomain called <a.example.com> and pointing it at the shared example.com docroot, but this seems a heavy way to do things as a domain alias would seem simpler and 'lighter' in terms of config. I just need different inbound host headers and the one docroot will work it all out from that. I simply need to be able to create multiple fqdn all using the single docroot and I do not want www prefixes...and no, the www, unqualified or no preference setting in Hosting Settings does NOT affect this behaviour.

Well, I've found a simple answer to my problem...a wildcard subdomain. Works llike a dream and simply allows the single docroot to look at the host-header of the incoming request and decide what to do with it :)

Hi iainh,

Your HOSTING - Settings will offer you the options to use "www.", the version without "www." and you are as well able to use a "NONE" option ( which makes it possible to use both previous options ) - but these options don't appear upon creation, they are optional when you already created the domain or alias domain. ;)

Humm, you didn't note the bit where I said; "and no, the www, unqualified or no preference setting in Hosting Settings does NOT affect this behaviour."

I'm afraid the domain preferecne setting has no effect on the www prefix applied to all domain aliases...you have to have www and like it. But, a wilrcard subdomain DOES do the job :)

Back