• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Critical vulnerability in plesk ?, main domain

Bossman

Basic Pleskian
my server hostname is server.example123.com
my main domain is example123.com

i was trying to list content of file via php interpreter at my example123.com domain from file /root/somefile (file is owned by root), this root directory is up up outside vhosts directory, i was shock that i could list whatever i want and execute every command i want !, how this is possible ?

i have php 5.4, ssh access is blocked for user from my example123.com domain
php wich i created is owned by my example123.com hosting account user.

Hello,

What is your PHP handler type (Websites & Domains > example123.com > Hosting Settings > run PHP as)?
What is your file permissions of "/root" directory and "/root/somefile" file (output of `ls -ld /root /root/somefile`)?

Yes, it is apache2handler.
This matter is being take care of via Plesk support i will let you know how it goes.
But if you have any briliant idea which i could do let me know :)

Yes, it is apache2handler.
So, you use "Apache module" handler type. The documentation says:
It is the least secure option as all PHP scripts are executed on behalf of the apache user.
I advice to switch to "PHP-FPM application" handler type.

However, PHP scripts should be executed with apache, not root rights. I hope your apache web server doesn't run as root. Output of `system("id");` which you hasn't shared could confirm or deny this.

Anyway, I hope Plesk support will help you.

Yes system command does not work, i think it can be blocked via ASL. I don't want to mess around a lot till support will give me some info. I olso hope that apache is not run as root :). Thanks about info on handler security.

Back