• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Subdomain to Domain Migration?

safemoon

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.57 Update #5
Hi All,

So I have set up a free trial installer for my web app, all free trial installations are installed on unique subdomains on a domain that I own and points to my Plesk server
e.g.
spacex.dummydomain.com

Now lets assume the user wants to use his own domain instead of my subdomain, what is the best way to do this migration?
Shopify does something similar if i am not mistaken.

The manual process would be to ask him to point his domain to my servers ip address, then create the domain on my server, copy the files/db from the subdomain to his domain folder.

Is there any better way to do it?

Ask your custom to point his domain to your server and in Plesk use the "change domain name" option to change the initial sub domain to the new domain of your customer?

Schermafbeelding 2024-01-13 162329.png

ive used the "domain" endpoint with method "PUT" and parameter "name" and it worked perfectly.
This solved my problem, thank you!

However, what if i want to have the free trials on one server and clients with their own domains on a different server?
Is there any easy way to migrate from a subdomain to clients domain in another server?

ive used the "domain" endpoint with method "PUT" and parameter "name" and it worked perfectly.
This solved my problem, thank you!
Good to hear that the domain endpoint works as well.

However, what if i want to have the free trials on one server and clients with their own domains on a different server?
Is there any easy way to migrate from a subdomain to clients domain in another server?
I don't think there is any mechanism in Plesk that can help you accomplish this. You'll probably have to write your own script(s) to do a database and file migration, and use the Plesk API for creating the user details on a new server.

Good to hear that the domain endpoint works as well.

I don't think there is any mechanism in Plesk that can help you accomplish this. You'll probably have to write your own script(s) to do a database and file migration, and use the Plesk API for creating the user details on a new server.
That was my thought as well, but I still asked because I was under the impression that it could be done somehow through DNS configuration.

Back