• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Cron Job fails

Loonx

New Pleskian
Hello,
I am getting this error every morning:
/etc/cron.daily/logrotate:

error: Compressing program wrote following message to stderr when compressing log /var/log/mariadb/mariadb.log-20201017:
gzip: stdin: file size changed while zipping
Any ideas on how I can fix this?

It's not a big issue. It only means that data is still written to the file when gzip is working on it. I have no explanation why this could happen, because once the file as rotated, no changes should go into it, but who knows. Maybe the file was created (space and name reserved) and the system still needs a few seconds or even fractions to fill all the data into it while gzip has already started to compress it. But really, the worst that could happen here with zipping is that the zip archive does not include all data of the file. But it's a log, if a line is missing in that here or there, that's not really a big deal.

It's not a big issue. It only means that data is still written to the file when gzip is working on it. I have no explanation why this could happen, because once the file as rotated, no changes should go into it, but who knows. Maybe the file was created (space and name reserved) and the system still needs a few seconds or even fractions to fill all the data into it while gzip has already started to compress it. But really, the worst that could happen here with zipping is that the zip archive does not include all data of the file. But it's a log, if a line is missing in that here or there, that's not really a big deal.
thank you very much!

Back