• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Debian 10 Nginx fails to start - missing ssl_stapling resolver

TimReeves

Regular Pleskian
I set up a new BareMetal server with Debian 10 and Plesk 18.0.28. Initially all was well - but the more Domains I migrated the slower Nginx restarted. Finally, the start of Nginx timed out. Initially I thought this may have to do with the last domain migrated (Nextcloud with 90GB data). But it turned out to be something else:
  • I do NOT have bind running, as all my domains are managed elsewhere
  • /usr/sbin/nginx -t was timing out, so Nginx could not be (re)started
  • For each configured domain (judging by the number of messages):
    nginx: [warn] "ssl_stapling" ignored, host not found in OCSP responder "ocsp.int-x3.letsencrypt.org" in the certificate "/opt/psa/var/certificates/scfEGoDfp"
After the searching the net I found a hint for the solution: I added an own "nginx-ssl-stapling.conf" to /etc/nginx/conf.d, which contains:
ssl_stapling on;
ssl_stapling_verify on;
resolver 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 valid=300s;
resolver_timeout 15s;

Now, the resolver is specified and Nginx starts very fast, as expected, no errors.

Please, check this out and provide an appropriate patch to save a lot of grey hairs on administrator heads :)

BTW the sw-cp-server instance of Nginx does not seem to have this problem.

Cheers, Tim

P.S. In general modern Plesk is for me a fantastic tool, saves me sooo much time.

Back