• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Debian 9 vs. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS – which one to choose for server with Plesk 18?

King555

Regular Pleskian
I will move to a new server hoster this month and I will install a completely new system with the latest Plesk. I always used Debian on my servers for almost 10 years now. I've read that Plesk currently only supports Debian 9, although Debian 10 is out for quite a while now.

Would you recommend the "old" Debian 9 for a server or should I install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, which is much newer and is supported by Plesk?

On the one hand I would like to stick with the system I know and I like the stability of Debian. On the other hand I would like to install an up-to-date version when I do a completely new installation. I know that the supported Ubuntu version is also not the latest piece of software, but much newer than the latest supported Debian.

I googled this topic and found (of course) pros and cons for both systems. If Plesk would support Debian 10, I would not ask this question, I would install Debian. But in this case I can't make a decision...

Thanks for your recommendation. Maybe I will try Ubuntu, currently I'm only 75% sure. ;)

EDIT: I installed Ubuntu.

Last edited:
Back