• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Debugging Application Errors

C

cjmwork2

My IPP uses Plesk7 as their control panel software.

Generally I think that Plesk is pretty good, however I have had a few problems which my IPP have claimed was a limitation of Plesk.

The one that is bugging me at the moment is how difficult it is to debug ASP 500 errors - 'Internal Server Error'.

Rather than give the native IIS error which will give an reasonable attempt at explaining what went wrong - and at what line - Plesk is configured to give a generic error message which gives you no idea what is wrong. Instead, I must download the full Access_logs file - which is usually 50KB+.

If I check the access_logs file I get an indication of the type of error, but still no indication of where the error occurs.

Is there any way to improve on this? Why can't the default IIS error messages (including problem and line no) be displayed?? If there is a good reason for this, why cant an alternative be implemented - something that gives an indication of the problem, where it occurs, and via a means that is easily accessible?

Why, out of interest are the errors listed in the access_logs file, rather than the error_logs file? Why does this file have no extension (eg. .TXT)? It makes it a PITA to open on a windows machine.

I suspect I'm stuck with the status quo, but I live in hope....

cheers

Chris

Most likely "Custom Error Documents" option is turned ON on the Hosting configuration page for your domain. Try to turn it OFF to see if it will help to get better errors description.

Thanks Pavel!

It worked...

But why the f*ck didnt my IPP tell me this??

Their support guys told me that it was Plesks fault and nothing could be done about it!

cjmwork2, I have some of my clients who complained about the same problem, but I knew what the problem was.

BUT! might I suggest that when writing ASP, you could use your own debuging methods, like disabling errors (On Error Resume Next) and Printing the error yourself (Err.Message). I am sure that this would be more easier than downloading the whole access_log file.

The easiest method is to let IIS explain what the problem, and where the problem is at the time it occurs. That is, turn Custom Error Messages off, and let IIS do the work.

No need for any meaningless & generic messages. No need to download the vague ERROR messages from the in-aptly named ACCESS log. No need for all the hard work involved with masking the error with a resume next, guessing where the error occured, and digging the details out with some Response.Writes.

After 5 years of developing ASP applications for intranets and the web, I'm comfortable with my methods. I thought Plesk was forcing me to change to a really awkward method of working, but it appears that my IPP, Homepage Universe, were responsible for a lack of understanding, a lack of knowledge, or an unwillingness to address the problem.

Chris

Back