1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Deleting mail

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by spaceout, Jul 24, 2006.

1. spaceout

spaceout Basic Pleskian

73%
    I have a client that has been using webmail and never deletes any messages. There are now 15,000 emails and I was wondering if there is a way to easily delete all of the messages older than a certain date?

2. spaceout

spaceout Basic Pleskian

73%
    Found it...

I found my answer...seems to work well so far.

find /var/qmail/mailnames/domain/youruser/Maildir/cur -type f -ctime +90 | xargs rm

What it means: look in the user's folder (Maildir/new) for any regular files (-type f) older than 90 days (-ctime +90) and send these files (xargs) to the delete command (rm).

3. baden32

baden32 Guest

Hi spaceout,
    I'm facing with the same probelm and I found your post/solution because.
    However, before to implement this script, I would like to be sure that the deletion of the file will not cause any problem.

In the directories /var/qmail/mailnames/domain/youruser/Maildir/cur or /var/qmail/mailnames/domain/youruser/Maildir/new, I can find the files and delete the ones older than x days.

BUT... in the /var/qmail/mailnames/domain/youruser/Maildir/ directory, there is a file named "maildirsize" which seems to contain 1 line for each file in the cur/new directory. I don't know the usage of this file and what is the goal of it's content. Would it be possible that Plesk uses it to know the size of the mailbox?

Did you also see this file in the Maildir directory and did you make something special with it?

Regards,
    Joel