• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Deleting mail

spaceout

Basic Pleskian
I have a client that has been using webmail and never deletes any messages. There are now 15,000 emails and I was wondering if there is a way to easily delete all of the messages older than a certain date?

Found it...

I found my answer...seems to work well so far.

find /var/qmail/mailnames/domain/youruser/Maildir/cur -type f -ctime +90 | xargs rm

What it means: look in the user's folder (Maildir/new) for any regular files (-type f) older than 90 days (-ctime +90) and send these files (xargs) to the delete command (rm).

Hi spaceout,
I'm facing with the same probelm and I found your post/solution because.
However, before to implement this script, I would like to be sure that the deletion of the file will not cause any problem.

In the directories /var/qmail/mailnames/domain/youruser/Maildir/cur or /var/qmail/mailnames/domain/youruser/Maildir/new, I can find the files and delete the ones older than x days.

BUT... in the /var/qmail/mailnames/domain/youruser/Maildir/ directory, there is a file named "maildirsize" which seems to contain 1 line for each file in the cur/new directory. I don't know the usage of this file and what is the goal of it's content. Would it be possible that Plesk uses it to know the size of the mailbox?

Did you also see this file in the Maildir directory and did you make something special with it?

Regards,
Joel

Back