• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Disable apache restart interval

K

kavukattu

Quick question.

I want to disable the apache restart interval, i.e., I don't want Plesk to restart apache every 900 seconds, or at any time. Our server runs a lot of asyncronous communication via xml-rpc, and the apache restarts are kiling me.

Will plesk allow me to just set it to nothing? Or do I have to hunt down the cront ask and delete it manually?

Thanks,
Toby

Hmm, actually - disabling the restart sequence will also disabling a lot of Plesk features I'll guess. As Apache won't get updated with new (or changed) virtual host information, password protected dirs and so on.

But the restart is made with "grace" - so if you're connection to an Apache instance is active - this instance should not be killed/reloaded until your current connection is killed/dead. If I recall correctly.

Thanks for your response.

I understand the negative aspects it could impose. But there is only one user with access to the Plesk control panel. And if a change is ever made (i.e. password protected directory) we can always manually restart apache.

And even with 'grace', in the time apache is restarting, any incoming connection will be dropped.

is my best bet to just hunt down the cron task and just set it to restart like once a week, at midnight?

Thx.

I believe you may be misinterpreting the meaning of "Apache restart interval". It is my understanding that this does not mean that Apache will restart every 900 seconds (the default value). Rather, it means that if Plesk does an automatic restart of Apache (for example, when you create a domain), Plesk will not do another automatic restart of Apache for at least 900 seconds. This prevents continuous restarts when there is a lot of administrative activity going on that would normally trigger an Apache restart. The key word in all of this is "automatic". You can manually restart Apache anytime.

If I am wrong about this, somebody please correct me. The documentation has never been clear on this issue.

John

Originally posted by wjtech I believe you may be misinterpreting the meaning of "Apache restart interval". It is my understanding that this does not mean that Apache will restart every 900 seconds (the default value). Rather, it means that if Plesk does an automatic restart of Apache (for example, when you create a domain), Plesk will not do another automatic restart of Apache for at least 900 seconds. This prevents continuous restarts when there is a lot of administrative activity going on that would normally trigger an Apache restart. The key word in all of this is "automatic". You can manually restart Apache anytime.

If I am wrong about this, somebody please correct me. The documentation has never been clear on this issue.

Yes, you're partly right as to http://faq.sw-soft.com/article_16_242_en.html - the restart period is only used if any changes have been registered in the Control Panel.

I don't think anybody was in doubt that a manual restart (both via Control Panel and commandline) of Apache is possible!

Back