• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs "Disk Usage" shows wrong value (for first created domain in subscription)

Azurel

Silver Pleskian
Username: Azurel

TITLE

"Disk Usage" and "Traffic" shows wrong values

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.33 #1, CentOS Linux 8.3.2011

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

For first time I found "Dymanic List" as view. For more domains, this is the perfect view. Thanks! For the first time I see here "Disk Usage" and that values here are not correct or its not what I expect. I never paid attention to the values, because they are not interesting for me.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

(In past) I have created a new subscription with first domainA.
In this subscription I have created a second domain domainB with document root of domainA.
And third domain domainC with document root of domainA.
And added CDN domains for images and few others domains.

Stats said:
domainA: Disk Usage 434199.2 MB
domainB: Disk Usage 2451.5 MB
domainC: Disk Usage 46.5 MB

ACTUAL RESULT

domainA have the most usage.

EXPECTED RESULT

With included logfiles domainB should be have the most usage. Because its 3x times more traffic as domainA and use the document root of domainA.
domainA seems to contain usage stats from all other domains in this subscription and contain as the only one the webspace consumption?

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Last edited:
I realize this bug report is over two years old, but I like to give this a bump as I feel this report is still applicable and has even become more relevant.

A brief summary: the Disk Usage and Traffic stats shown on a domain card never reflect the actual usage data for any additional domain in a subscription (like sub domains). There is a knowledge base article that explains why these numbers don't reflect the actually usage data and why it is considered expected behavior. There is also a UserVoice suggestion, with relatively few votes, for using actual 'real' disk usage for each (sub)domain in a subscription. Indicating this is considered a feature improvement rather than a bug.

I like to argue that as Plesk has evolved and improved over time the fact that these usage data numbers don't reflect the actual usage data of a domain has become a bug and should no longer be considered a feature improvement. This is why:

It might have made sense in the past to only include configuration and log files in the calculation of usage data for additional domains. However with the introduction of the Dynamic List view in Plesk those Usage Stats have been given a very prominent location on the domain card. However as the Usage Stats don't provide any context on the domain card they are easily interpreted wrong if they don't reflect the actual usage data. As that is what (end-)users are expecting: actual usage data.

Let me explain what I mean by context. Previously with the Classic Lists view in Plesk the Disk Usage and Traffic was also shown in the domain list table. (Example of the domain list with usage data in image below). When looking at the domain list a user could (kinda) figure out that all disk space usage was calculated with the primary domain. This wasn't perfect either from a useabilly perspective, but at least it provided some context to the user.
75734.png
The Classic list view has been deprecated and removed from Plesk since version .51. It got replaced by the Dynamic List view, which doesn't display any usage data in it's list (it does on the domain card of course). Which means there is currently no context left for the user on how to interpreter the usage data.

This is why imho it has become a bug over time. Plesk has evolved. The UI has improved tremendously, but some features are lagging behind. And that's understandable too! You can't change everything all at once. Which is why like to draw attention to this issue :)

Here is what I feel would be the most suitable solution: have the Usage Stats on the domain cards display the actual data for each domain. I realize this likely requires quite some (development) resources. So an intermediate solution perhaps would be to just remove the Usage Stats from domain cards of any additional domains in a subscription.

To clarify a screenshot of the domain card of a sub domain.
Schermafbeelding 2023-05-03 151214.png

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2023-05-03 131714.png
    Schermafbeelding 2023-05-03 131714.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hi @Kaspar

I fully agree it's a bug in the current Plesk business logic. But to fix it, we will need to rewrite our architecture significantly (file storage structure), which most likely cost us months of development and bring other additional risks and issues.

As this issue is not common, and the impact is not critical, we will not fix it due to the high costs.
Thank you for understanding))

Hello,
@Anthony, is the bug for all domains in Plesk or just random? I have 4 domains and 2 subdomains. In one of my accounts I only have WordPress with a light theme (Hello) with 3 to 4 Plugins and on the Subdomain I have a script not more than 500 MB of file size but in my Plesk under Domain that domain is showing as 2111.6 MB Disk Usage and it increases significantly even when I add just some texts.

Is there any way I can check the real storage usage?

My other domains showing not that high. Is it normal or there is something wrong with the Plesk server?
Thank you,

One approach to determine the total size of a path is the Linux "du" command. Can you access your server through SSH? "du" knows many parameters, including human readable transformation of the output. It is also possible to get totals from it etc. Maybe that can solve your requirements?

Back