• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS A Record issues

J

Jazman23

Hello

Im new to Plesk and was wondering if someone could help me with an issue, I rented a VPS that runs Linux, with parallels Virtual panel and Plesk, Ive set up a website for myself and everything works fine, however i seem to be struggling with a DNS A record.

I have a teamspeak server that i use, and on my old webserver i could create an A record of voice.mydomain.co.uk and put my Teamspeaks IP address, so when users entered voice.mydomain.co.uk:port on teamspeak it would connect them through my domain. This doesn't seem to work in this case. have i got to do something else? does something need changing in the firewall?

Here are some images that may make my situation a bit clearer.

I also tried to create a CNAME to tell it what it actually was.

This is how i have it set up in plesk:

Plesk DNS rules

Here's the TS client where i try to connect.

Connection details in TS client

This the client log i receive, it seems to find the VPS and connect to it, but then fails afterwards.

Teamspeak Connection Log (May be useful, isnt long)

Comparison log for successful connect on an alternate domain: HERE

By the looks of the 2 logs, when teamspeak tries to connect to voice.gamers-revolution.co.uk, it is trying to connect to my VPS IP on the port of 23517 (which is supposed to be the port for the TS server) where as on the alternate it just connects to the teamspeak ip and port like it is supposed to.

Thanks

Jaz

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing especial - A record for you hostname and open port in firewall rules.

seems that no matter what i do in the firewall it doesn't seem to help :S i have the source address and port set to Any and the destination address and port set to what the teamspeak adress and ports are, strange

EDIT: this was on parallels virtual panel, doing similar thing on Plesk firewall and still the same result :S

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you configure sub domain for voice.mydomain.co.uk ?
If you don't have DNS server then ask to your provider for DNS entry. Then ping voice.mydomain.co.uk if success then it will be work. have fun..........

SakibS

thanks for the response, but voice.mydomain.co.uk isn't supposed to be a site or lead to a directory on the site, when voice.mydomain.co.uk:23517 is entered into the Teamspeak application, it should forward the the IP address and port of the teamspeak server, its a way of letting users connect without ever knowing the IP of the teamspeak server, i hope this is a little more clear, i tried the subdomain idea but that didnt work, and pinging it just pings the vps.

Jazman23, if I understand correctly you're having a DNS problem. Are you managing the zone for "mydomain.co.uk" domain yourself?
- If yes, are you using Plesk for this? If yes, just add in Plesk the A record for voice.mydomain.co.uk to point to the IP address of that teamspeak app.
- If you don't manage the zone, someone else should. Just ask whoever is in charge with your zone to add that record for you.

yeah im in charge of the DNS zones, and i thought it would be as simple as that but it doesn't seem to work.

What does "dig voice.mydomain.co.uk @8.8.4.4" return? There are heaps of free online DNS checkers, try to use them to come up with more meaningful messages, so far I don't what you have [not] done with your record and where.
Also, if you can publish this information, or send a pm: what's the actual zone you're talking about and what's the IP address of your nameserver?

I have edited my first post and added some screen shots / logs

Jazman23, by the looks of it gamers-revolution.co.uk is delegated to ns67.1and1.co.uk and ns68.1and1.co.uk, for this reason voice.gamers-revolution.co.uk resolves to the old IP address 82.165.16.35. If querying 82.165.16.35 I get the new IP address 85.236.100.27 for voice.gamers-revolution.co.uk.

1. Querying my local name server:

adi@scorilo:~$ dig voice.gamers-revolution.co.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> voice.gamers-revolution.co.uk
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 9223
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;voice.gamers-revolution.co.uk. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
voice.gamers-revolution.co.uk. 86400 IN A 82.165.16.35

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
gamers-revolution.co.uk. 172800 IN NS ns68.1and1.co.uk.
gamers-revolution.co.uk. 172800 IN NS ns67.1and1.co.uk.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns67.1and1.co.uk. 2154 IN A 217.160.80.173
ns68.1and1.co.uk. 2154 IN A 217.160.81.173

;; Query time: 90 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Feb 8 00:22:53 2012
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 139

2. Querying your Plesk DNS server:

adi@scorilo:~$ dig voice.gamers-revolution.co.uk @82.165.16.35

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> voice.gamers-revolution.co.uk @82.165.16.35
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 26535
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
voice.gamers-revolution.co.uk. 86400 IN A 85.236.100.27

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
gamers-revolution.co.uk. 86400 IN NS ns.gamers-revolution.co.uk.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns.gamers-revolution.co.uk. 86400 IN A 82.165.16.35

;; Query time: 35 msec
;; SERVER: 82.165.16.35#53(82.165.16.35)
;; WHEN: Wed Feb 8 00:25:56 2012
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 96

3. Querying a Google public server:

adi@scorilo:~$ dig voice.gamers-revolution.co.uk @8.8.4.4

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> voice.gamers-revolution.co.uk @8.8.4.4
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 41570
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
voice.gamers-revolution.co.uk. 86400 IN A 82.165.16.35

;; Query time: 72 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.4.4#53(8.8.4.4)
;; WHEN: Wed Feb 8 00:26:13 2012
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 63

As you can see, the NS records for your troubled domain don't match, your Plesk server isn't actually delegated for voice.gamers-revolution.co.uk. You have to contact your actual NS provider to change the A record.

hey guys, its all sorted now, thanks for the help, i was creating the suggested sub domain in plesk, i tried it in my main administration panel on my hosts site and it works perfectly fine now, so in the end it was user error with me, and getting my nameservers wrong as burnleyvick said.

thanks for the help

Back