• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS control - Setup

You can do it either way:

Configure 123-reg dns settings:
point A records for www.domain.tld and domain.tld to your server
point an A record (e.g. mail.domain.tld) to IP of remote mailserver
Make sure mx record for domain.tld points to mail.domain.tld
Leave namservers alone.

Or

Set things ip in plesk similar to above and change nameserves in 123reg control panel for domain to be yours.

When email is hosted elsewhere, you need to switch off the mail service for the domain, as otherwise any email generated by the plesk server will be directed to the plesk server -- mx records are not consulted.

.com not resolving

Faris Raouf thanks for your answer, that is very helpful.

We have 1 other problem that I hope you might be able with?

.co.uk domains are resolving fine on our server, but .com do not. All the DNS settings are the same. The domain that we use as the main DNS account is a .co.uk eg ns1.mydomain.co.uk and ns2.mydomain.co.uk. We are simply getting a 'server not found' on the .com domains.

I have read something about domain name restrictions on .com with custom DNS, would this be why and do you have any suggestions to fix?

Thanks again for your help...

I'm not personally aware of any issues with using a .co.uk as a namserver when the domain is a .com (or anything else) but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

The best thing to do would be to use an online dns test facility (e.g. dnsreport.com) to see what might be wrong.

I have a bit of an update to the above.

As my .com hosting accounts weren't linking to my .com domains, (but my .co.uk were) when the nameserver used was a .co.uk I tried to use a .com domain as the nameserver.
Now the .com hosting accounts are linking to the .com domains, but the .co.uk hosting accounts and not linking to the .co.uk domains.

Has anyone come across this before? Is this anything to do with the DNS template settings in plesk?

I've tried to get an answer from our host provider (webfusion) and our domain provider (123-reg) but its like hitting my head against a brick wall!

thanks

This sounds like a chicken and egg problem.

Check that you have correctly set up your namserver host records at your registrar AND have also created A records (in Plesk) for ns1 and ns2 in the corresponding domain.

If you like you can PM me with a domain that uses the .co.uk versions and another that uses the .com versions and I'll check them.

Back