• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question DNS for server hostname

shogunswb

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Plesk version and microupdate number
I was doing an email health check on MXToolBox.com & it gave me an error that:

Reverse DNS is not a valid Hostname.

On checking this it appears I have made a mistake with the server hostname which is: "domain.co.uk" whereas I should have named it something like "web.domain.co.uk"

I should mention that its a dedicated server with Centos 7 & the latest version of Plesk.

Both nameserver glue records from my hosting company for the domain I'm using are pointing to my dedicated server so:

ns1.domain.co.uk
ns2.domain.co.uk

My question is, if I change the server hostname to "web.domain.co.uk" do I also need to update the nameserver records to:

ns1.web.domain.co.uk
ns2.web.domain.co.uk

For some reason I just cannot work it through in my head & yes I know that the name servers should be different but I only have a single server.

Thanks

This isn't really a Plesk problem, but:
You need to setup rDNS.
If "web.domain.co.uk" is your real hostname then your IP would be 62.141.32.200
But 62.141.32.200 doesn't have a rDNS.
Better you contact your hosting provider.

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I know its not really a Plesk problem but the question came about as a result of Plesk configuration.
I was just trying to be general with the server name but the actual Plesk hostname is:

anim8design.co.uk

The nameservers are set to ns1.anim8design.co.uk & ns2.anim8design.co.uk & the rdns resolves to 77.68.15.215
but if I change the Plesk hostname to web.anim8design.co.uk do I also need to change the nameservers to match or do I add an A record for web.anim8design.co.uk pointing to 77.68.15.215.

This is a problem with mxtoolbox. They expect mail to be on a subdomain even though there is nothing in the relevant RFCs that would support such an requirement.

Its a problem that mxtoolbox highlights & it wasn't a problem on my old server with a reputable IP, but I have been forced to migrate to a new server with a new IP that is part of a block of IP's on a blacklist that I cannot get it removed from.
I have managed to get the IP mitigated by MS but mail from this new server is still ending up in Spam with the likes of Yahoo etc & one of the possible reasons is Reverse DNS is not a valid Hostname.
Just trying everything I can to get mail to the inbox.

Back