• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue DNS not sending NOTIFY to secondary dns servers

Daniel Richards

New Pleskian
Hi there,

I have plesk onyx configured as a master dns server which transfers via AXFR the dns xone changes to a 3rd party secondary dns solution.

AXFR is working fine, but the 3rd party secondary dns is saying that plesk is not sending a NOTIFY command upon dns change.

I'm wondering if this is a fault, as would expect this to happen automatically?

Hello Daniel,

Could you compare log from your server with log on step #15 on page Instruction - How to start with Slave DNS Manager ? In log from my old test was a line with "Apr 26 09:22:33 digitalocean named[8769]: zone test-for-forum.com/IN: sending notifies (serial 2017042605)". Do you see the same in your logs?

Did you see BIND9 named.conf Zone Transfer and Update statements ?
I didn't find in default named.conf in Plesk any settings that disable notifies. By default, this setting turned on.

Hi, thank you.

I have reviewed the logs and are seeing notify messages sent, but they are not received by the third party secondary nameservers.
There aren't any entries in named.conf relating to notify.

How does plesk choose the ip to send the notify message too? I need to send them not to the IP of my nameservers, but to the IPs I have added to the ACL

Thanks in advance,

Were third-party secondary nameservers added as NS-record?

In my case, my 3rd party external name servers have separate IP address (not the name server IPs themselves) for the NOTIFY messages. This requires that I add the following to named.conf "options" section, which, the comments warn, could be overridden. My 3rd party DNS provider is DNSMadeEasy.com

Code:
notify yes;
also-notify { x.x.x.x; y.y.y.y; z.z.z.z; };

Last edited:
Back