• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS propagation

D

dihsar

I am a newbie to plesk and i just added my first domain to my server yesterday and i can preview the domain in the control panel but i can't access it through its url : www.domain.com

And when i contacted the support team i was told my DNS had probably not propagated yet.My question is how long does it take to propagate?And eventhough a whois search indicated the domain is pointing to the right name servers,can it still mean it has not propagated yet?Please help

[Brief response - this is just a quickie response]

Are the name servers shown in the whois pointing to your Plesk server, or are they external DNS servers?

Have you done a www.dnsreport.com on your domain to see if it shows any DNS abnormalities?

DNS propagation does sometimes take days (or more) to actually hit all the DNS servers (especially the caching servers).

So first run a dnsreport and wait another day or two.

To get around this limit, you could set your workstation's primary DNS server to use your Plesk box as the default.

Also try pointing your browser to the http:<ip address> and see if it comes up. This assumes that you have set the default domain for the IP address in the control panel.

Originally posted by dihsar
I am a newbie to plesk and i just added my first domain to my server yesterday and i can preview the domain in the control panel but i can't access it through its url : www.domain.com

And when i contacted the support team i was told my DNS had probably not propagated yet.My question is how long does it take to propagate?And eventhough a whois search indicated the domain is pointing to the right name servers,can it still mean it has not propagated yet?Please help

Thanks for the reply.When i did a DNS report i had only one failure which is :

.NS FAIL

A timeout occurred getting the NS records from your nameservers! None of your nameservers responded fast enough. They are probably down or unreachable. I can't continue since your nameservers aren't responding. If you have a Watchguard Firebox, it's due to a bug in their DNS Proxy, which must be disabled

And in my plesk my NS setting is:

<domain>. NS ns1.nameserver.com.
<domain>. NS ns2.nameserver.com.

Evrything else is on a default.Please help.Thanks

I am assuming the nameservers are your own Plesk server itself?

You say you are a newbie to Plesk, but are you also a newbie to linux? If you are able, use telnet to try and connect to your server on port 53 and see if it responds.

If you get no response on port 53, then either your DNS service is not running, or is being blocked by a firewall.

Is your server behind a Router? If it is, have you put it on a DMZ or forwarded the required ports to the server LAN IP???

Please give much more detail as to your setup, so we don't end up playing 20 questions....

I was able to connect to my host using PASSPORT PC TO HOST on port 53. But Port 23 didn't get me connected though.

Yes am a newbie to linux.:confused:

I would expect port 23 (telnet) to fail, it is normally closed by default.

Being a linux newbie is ok, I just needed to know so I don't get too complicated with my responses.

And have you run another dnsreport.com today?

Questions:
1. The nameservers for the domain in question, are they pointing to your own Plesk server?

2. Is your server behind a Router? If it is, have you put it on a DMZ or forwarded the required ports to the server LAN IP???

3. Do you know if you have a firewall running on the server, if so, is it the Plesk firewall or what?

4. Please give much more detail as to your setup, so we don't end up playing 20 questions....

If you would like, you can PM me with your actual domain name and IP address so I can see if your DNS server is responding to requests.

Full propagation of DNS usually takes 24-48 hours. If you are setting NS records at some place like Godaddy, you will have to wait for your server to propagate its records before GoDaddy's servers will ack it exists. It's rather annoying unless you can find the page where they let you specify the NS and IP (not sure if its there anymore).

Also, if it is a new DNS server that you just setup, make sure that it's registered in your registry's nameservers. Your domain will never work if your DNS servers are not registered with the registry. Once that happens, you need to delegate your domain to the new nameservers.

Back