• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved DNS PTR Problem, Could not find reverse address for IP

Dukemaster

Regular Pleskian
Hi at all,
I want to refer to a setup shown in this thread, because it's the nearly same like mine.
I have a server IPv4 (also IPv6) which I use as standard for the hosting of my 8 domains.
Since I wanted to use own nameservers and failed with several setups I got 2 additional IPv4 from my service provider 1and1, and didn't set reverse mapping to have all options.
Now I in hosting settings also in the A record of service providers domain panel I made the standard IPv4 and IPv6 and created subdomains ns1 and ns2 for each domain to get the glue records.
In PLESK I use the standard DNS configuration.
So. now I put the two new IPv4 in PLESK domain pool.
Then I changed in each domain panel the ns1 A record to first new IPv4 and ns2 A record to second new IPv4.
Hosting is running like normal on the old standard IPv4 and IPv6 of server. !!!
Then I went back to domain panel of ISP and changed the subdomains IPv4 to ns1 first new IPv4 and ns2 to second IPv4. (none IPv6).
Domains are working except one little thing in SSLABs STHS is not working any longer which could result from the fact that in PLESK webhosting settings of each domain IPv6 is set, but not in the DNS settings of PLESK.
But this is the second little unimportant problem that STHS seems to work only by IPv6 (not related to IPv4)

The most problem is the result in DNSGoodies.com - DNS tools, WHOIS, Open Relay Test, Reverse DNS, Spam Database Check, traceroute, ping and other utilities. for example domain.com (one of my domains)
Server: 4.2.2.1
Address: 4.2.2.1#53

** server can't find 167.167.160.217.in-addr.arpa: NXDOMAIN

And in pingdom.com I get for both nameservers:
Could not find reverse address for 217.160.130.142 (142.130.160.217.in-addr.arpa.).
PTR record(s) for the address could not be found in the .arpa-zone. (ip6.arpa. for IPv6 addresses and in-addr.arpa. for IPv4).
and in SOA
null.gif

Could not find reverse address for 217.160.167.167 (167.167.160.217.in-addr.arpa.).
PTR record(s) for the address could not be found in the .arpa-zone. (ip6.arpa. for IPv6 addresses and in-addr.arpa. for IPv4).

The biggest question beside what do I have to do is:
Shall I set the reverse mapping at 1and1 to one of my domains for each new IP.
PROBLEM IS: If I once set a domain in Reverse Mapping I HAVE set one domain forever, I can change it to other domains of my server domain panel, but NEVER let the box free without any domain.
Then I can only delete the domain (kill the contract of IPv4 and get a new one) but never leave it blank.

Please, could you help me. Never was so near testing namerserver.If it's not possible = no problem. I then make standard setup of DNS/Domains again and delete the two IPv4.

Greets

Last edited:
Hi Dukemaster,

PROBLEM IS: If I once set a domain in Reverse Mapping I HAVE set one domain forever, I can change it to other domains of my server domain panel, but NEVER let the box free without any domain.
This is not a problem, it is ESSENTIAL, so that your IPv4's in fact reverses to a FQDN. At the moment, they don't reverse anywhere and you can't continue with your DNS - server settings. ;)

Thanks a lot, @UFHH01,
so you mean I have to set one domain, no matter which one?
Could you please help me with another question related to this.
Is it better to configure these two IPv4 as shared in PLESK, like I did, or dedicated? But I thought that make no sense.
Oh, forgotten another question related to DNS setup, is it better to not use them for hosting, just/only for DNS, or does it not play any role. Don't know the english word. (egal in german)?

Greets

Last edited:
Hi Dukemaster,

Is it better to configure these two IPv4 as shared in PLESK, like I did, or dedicated? But I thought that make no sense.
This would only make sense, if you have heavy load on your IPs, as you then would like no other (sub)domains routed to that the IPs of your DNS - server - so the answer is: Leave it as it is ( shared ) and when you reach over 10.000 domains on your server, you would start to think about a separate server only for your DNS, with dedicated IPs. ;)

No, you are fine to use the IPs for hosting as well. Just read again the above suggestion. :)

Thanks for all.
It's funny. I can't set a domain for reverse mapping when I don't set the A-record to this IP.
Lol, this means I HAVE to use minimum this IP for hosting of one domain.
I knew this since years but I forgot because I don't play with IPs in general, average is every 4 years when I change to a newer server (contract).

Thanks a lot

Back