• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS servers using Plesk

J

jerry2

Hi there

Ok, I am a newbie in web servers and I have a dedicated unmanaged host at server4you. I use Plesk 7.5.6 with it...

I learn and understand most of the things, but not completely DNS servers.

I own 10 domains, which are currently hosted by my provider who hosts the webpages for them, but when I cancel, I will have to point the domain primary and secondary main servers somewhere.

One option is to transfer them to Server4You DNS, but the forms are complicated, they have to write my provider for agreement etc... As I can tell my provider to change the primary and secondary by phone or using web interface, the preffered method is I move them to my server where I can control subdomains...

Now the question I don't find answer is how to set up a DNS server with Plesk. Ok, Plesk is installed and I can handle domains so it says. But in Windows 2003 I see the DNS server is not yet installed (the default one that comes withWindows). So I would like to know if Plesk has some other DNS server in mind letting me manage my domains?

Another question is now how to make my DNS server work. I guess it can be controlled using Plesk, but I don't find options to set this in Plesk.

And another question, do I really need 3 IP's? I have only one at the moment. Is 1 enough (there won't be many customers on my site) or maybe are 2 enough (one for primary and 1 for secondary, with the IP for www being one of the this two), or do I HAVE TO HAVE 3 IP's (two independant for DNS servers)?

What I would like to do is setup the server so I only tell provider to point to my DNS server IP's and I can manage the domains myself.

For my domain my provider now gave me (xxx.server4you.de) I can make the mail.xxx.server4you.de etc. using Plesk but I guess this is because I can somehow edit the DNS because it is providers domain. But the name is not OK, I want my domain to be the main domain like customers to use mail.jerry.com e.g. not xxx.server4you.de...

I know I am new, but I learned few days and this is the point I really don't get it how to make in practice.

Yours

Jerry

Ok, I will ask more simple:

Al I got is a server with 1 IP address a.b.c.d. I bought a domain mydomain.com.

What I need is that I can use mydomain.com as my primary domain for mail server, ftp server etc... But I can not do that before I point the bought domain to 2 DNS servers (primary and secondary), which I also want to be on the same machine (I have unfortunately only 1 machine).

How is this possible? Is it possible with 1 IP or not? Should I buy 1 or 2 more IP's? How can 3 IP's show one machine, on the machine there is only 1 network card...

so I want to use ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com to be my DNS servers and mycomain.com to be my primary hostin IP where I have ftp, web hosts etc...

I hope somebody can help me.

Yours

Jerry

Is it possible that nobody knows that? This seem to be the basic of DNS setting.

Back