• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question DNS settings subdomain don't work

Benziner

New Pleskian
Hi
We administer a root server with plesk and we do have customers on that server who do there own settings.
Our company bought the customer domain at 1&1 and there we did the dns forwarding like it is shown in picture "bild1.png".
Now the domain has been installed on the plesk server with webcontent etc. That all works fine. So the main domain shows the webcontent as it should.
Then the customer wanted to change his dns settings for himself so we gave him a plesk account so he could change the dns settings in plesk (he can't change the dns settings at 1&1).
Now this customer did a dns forwarding for an non-existing subdomain (remote.domainname.de) to the ip 195.243.206.162 as shown in picture "bild2.png".
Unfortunately it seems that the server does not forward the subdomain to this ip but to the server ip (which is different to 195.243.206.162).
This is the first customer who changes dns settings for his own on that server, so maybe there is some default setting in plesk that should be changed? Can you give me a hint?

Attachments

• bild1.png
    bild1.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 10
  • bild2.png
    bild2.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 9
Nice seeing people using emailsecuritygateway from barracuda (barracudanetworks.com), also did this years ago.

But to come to the point, one things you said are somehow missleading:
- what have been done is not "forwarding" what you (they) did is setting a A-Record for a non-existing Domain.

So a non-existing domain is pointing to an existing IP (not forwarding to)!
But as a non existing Domain cant be looked up this will not work.

So the first thing that I would do is: register/create the non-existing sub-domain and wait untill propagated, so it exists. Then use it.

After this you might wanna tell us what you wanna do with that domain? Pointing it somewhere or forwarding it?
If you provide us these infos we could help you, but not like this.
P.S.: you (normally) can't forward to an IP directly but just to an URL "http://123.123.123" (do not forget the "http://" part!)
But I think you should first explain what you wanna do.

A bit dissapointed from a company already beeing in the game since 1998 and not knowing this.
Anyway best regards to Schrodt ********** GmbH ;)
Grüße nach Vaihingen!

Thanks for your reply,
Actually I know the difference of A-records and forwarding, only used the wrong term but thanks for your clarification.
And for your clarification: In our name there is the word "informatik" which does not mean that we know everything on every field in informatics, who does?
We also exist since 1989 not 1998 and as I wrote above these are the DNS settings the customer did for himself, so I don't know what he wants to reach with these settings.
Additionally I would define a forum as a place there someone can ask questions because he does not know anything. Denunciation the way you do for me is also disappointing.

Actually I did not want to denunciate you but I think noone can help you here.
I clearified the fifference between Pointing and forwarding becasue in fact both exists and could be wanted there.

I don't know what he wants to reach with these settings
I'm very confused about you asking for help and dont know what the result should be.. how should we know.

Let me explain what eventually happened here:

- the domain gets hosted at 1&1
- NS are pointing to 1&1
- You gave your customer access to Plesk
- Plesk does have a own DNS Server where it is possible to create subdomains etc
- the client created a subdomain in Plesk and its not working

If you can affirm all of these things I might know what happened here.
The Domain we speak about does have NS-Entries which are still pointing to 1&1 NameServers. This does mean you can only create Domains at the DNS Server where the NS-Entries are ponting at. If you however create a subdomain is another DNS Server the NS-Entries are not pointing atthis will not get propagated worldwide but just locally at the Plesk Server as only the Plesk Server can resolve this domain, but publicly this subdomain does not exist.

So there are two ways to solve this. But again I can not tell you what to do untill you tell us what the result should be.. thats also what is consusing me. You are asking for help but you dont say what you want.
Yes a Forum is a place you can ask everything, but pls dont get mad what people are honest. For me this is very confusing trying helping someone in your freetime who asks for help but dont exactly tell you what he wants.

Pls try to explain what the goal of this should be, btw what should work in what way in the end. If you dont know pls ask you client.

Back