• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue DNS was changed after changing the email address for admin

mike nasca

New Pleskian
why does changing the administrator's email automatically change the DNS? I have been told that this occurs, but there is no documentation to support that this occurs. So is this correct? changing the DNS is a critical change, and since plesk does NOT ask for a new DNS, how does plesk determine what to change it to?

Could you please provide step-by-step instruction on how this issue can be reproduced?

Hi,
SOA record exists for each DNS zone, SOA record contains an RNAME field, the RNAME field is an email address of the administrator responsible for this zone (SOA record - Wikipedia ); but anyway would be great to get steps to reproduce.

Last edited:
all i did was open and edit the admin profile by changing the name, address, phone and email address since the prior admin is no longer with the company.

not having any knowledge about DNS setups, how am i supposed to know that changing the contact information would also change the DNS IP address? all i am doing is changing contact information. there was nothing that indicated this would also change the DNS to a different IP address.

the plesk knowledge base instructions and video for changing the admin profile do not include anything indicating that it would also change the DSN IP address.

having the DNS IP address changed is a major change. i would expect there to be a warning for such a critical change in the instructions, and in the actual process of making the change.

also, how does it know what IP address to change to? i would expect it to prompt me for the new IP address during the email change process?

You are right. In this case, an IP address shouldn't be changed. SOA record doesn't contain any information about IP.

If you use Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 MU#58/above or Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 MU#22/above, you can find a setting that controls this behavior in “Tools & Settings / DNS Template / SOA Records Template /”. Anyway, I have changed contact information on my Plesk server and check DNS zone settings; only an admin's email was changed.

---

I think some other changes were made on your server before. As an example, someone changed DNS zone file by manual through ssh. When you update admin's email, the zone file is recreated by Plesk. In this case, Plesk uses configured DNS records from "Domains / Your Domain / DNS Settings".

Back