• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Does Plesk Obsidian 18 have a maintenance mode?

asmithjd

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18
Hello,
I recently had a Laravel framework software installed on my server, it works great and fast. However, the script doesn't come with a built-in maintenance mode.
My goal is to prevent the public from accessing my site while I work on it.
1. Does Plesk have a maintenance mode? and Will this maintenance mode allow me to work on the script without showing the site to the public?
2. If Plesk doesn't have a maintenance mode, is there a workaround I could use?

Thank you in advance I appreciate any help.
Side note, I am not a professional dev, more like a hobbyist, but I am great at following instructions :)

Hi @asmithjd , thank you for posting here. There is no general maintenance mode function for websites in Plesk. WP Toolkit has a maintenance mode, but this does not fit your case.

Instead, maybe you can create a subdomain for developing and testing purposes and publish your final version to the main domain once it is ready for public access?

Hi,

Laravel has a maintenance mode, which you can enable via the Laravel Toolkit:

You can enable it with php artisan down

Visitors on your website will see a "503 | Service Unavailable" page,

Schermafbeelding 2023-03-02 om 17.29.46.png

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you for the response.
I had to install the laravel extension on my Plesk dashboard, but the toolkit is not fully installed. If I install the laravel toolkit skeleton will it break any of the existing laravel code? or am I safe to install the toolkit skeleton?
If I am unable to install it due to the site breaking, is there a manual way to put laravel site in maintenance mode?

(I attached a php file that I think puts it in maintenance mode, but I don't know what or where to enter the code)

Thank you in advance, I appreciate any help provided

Attachments

• laravel maint mode.png
    laravel maint mode.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 2
I'm unsure what you mean by "but the toolkit is not fully installed". When you install the Laravel Toolkit, you can scan for existing Laravel websites on your server. If it finds any websites, these will be added to Laravel Toolkit so you can manage them with the Laravel Toolkit.

I wouldn't try to activate the maintenance mode manually, as it's unnecessarily hard and complicated to manage a Laravel website without php artisan <command>. You better use the toolkit to manage everything. It will make things a lot easier.

Thank you maartenv, at first when I performed the scan, it didn't pick up the files that were installed. So I was worried that if I installed the toolkit specifically on that domain it would overwrite the files. However, I ran the scan again, and it picked showed. And yes it is 1,000X easier with the toolkit.
(to explain "toolkit not fully installed", I meant it was not activated on the specific domain that had the application, as I installed it after the laravel application was already up and running) But it is all good now and I am up and running. Thank you and thank you to everyone else who provided me with a direction to look in.

Back