• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Domain Aliases, Emails and Sym Links - Will it work?

NateWon

Basic Pleskian
Hello, Ive run into a problem with one of our client accounts, where they are running WordPress multisite, we've been running their mail on a server which is to be decommissioned and Ive just realized I need to workout how to get the emails against the domain names (3 domains). Ive seen that you can use the aliases, and it works Ok, but not great and Im not sure how supported it would be for the various mail clients to use an identity...

"You have an email address [email protected]. Then you set up an alias for domain.tld, for example, alias.tld. If you select the Mail service option, all mail sent to [email protected] will be available at [email protected]. Otherwise, the mailbox [email protected] will not receive mail sent to [email protected]."

I was thinking it may be easier to remove the aliases and create them as domains, then use symbolic links for the web folders?
Domain 1 -> Folder
Domain 2 -> Symlink -> Folder
Domain 3 -> Symlink -> Folder

Has anyone done something similar or know what permissions I would need to resolve. It looks like the file permissions would support it, but I suspect their may be a plesk level of security as well that would need to be considered?

Or are their some other solutions?

Thanks

Using symbolic links as document root directory links is discouraged. Plesk expects the document root directories to be real directories, not symbolic links.

Using symbolic links as document root directory links is discouraged. Plesk expects the document root directories to be real directories, not symbolic links.
But does it work in any capacity? I guess another option would be to try and manually insert the email records, again not sure if this would create an issue.

If you do not want to go for the alias solution, I suggest to create the three domains as domains and set their document root directory to the same directory that your "real" website is in. This way they will deliver the same content as the main domain while you have separate e-mail capabilities.

If you do not want to go for the alias solution, I suggest to create the three domains as domains and set their document root directory to the same directory that your "real" website is in. This way they will deliver the same content as the main domain while you have separate e-mail capabilities.
Great thanks, sounds like a good solution, will check it out

Back