1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice

Question Domain Aliases, Emails and Sym Links - Will it work?

Discussion in 'Plesk Onyx for Linux' started by NateWon, May 8, 2017.

1. NateWon

NateWon New Pleskian

20%
    Hello, Ive run into a problem with one of our client accounts, where they are running WordPress multisite, we've been running their mail on a server which is to be decommissioned and Ive just realized I need to workout how to get the emails against the domain names (3 domains). Ive seen that you can use the aliases, and it works Ok, but not great and Im not sure how supported it would be for the various mail clients to use an identity...

"You have an email address mail@domain.tld. Then you set up an alias for domain.tld, for example, alias.tld. If you select the Mail service option, all mail sent to mail@alias.tld will be available at mail@domain.tld. Otherwise, the mailbox mail@domain.tld will not receive mail sent to mail@alias.tld."

I was thinking it may be easier to remove the aliases and create them as domains, then use symbolic links for the web folders?
    Domain 1 -> Folder
    Domain 2 -> Symlink -> Folder
    Domain 3 -> Symlink -> Folder

Has anyone done something similar or know what permissions I would need to resolve. It looks like the file permissions would support it, but I suspect their may be a plesk level of security as well that would need to be considered?

Or are their some other solutions?

Thanks

2. Peter Debik

Peter Debik Golden Pleskian Plesk Guru

80%
    Using symbolic links as document root directory links is discouraged. Plesk expects the document root directories to be real directories, not symbolic links.

3. NateWon

NateWon New Pleskian

20%
    But does it work in any capacity? I guess another option would be to try and manually insert the email records, again not sure if this would create an issue.

4. Peter Debik

Peter Debik Golden Pleskian Plesk Guru

80%
    If you do not want to go for the alias solution, I suggest to create the three domains as domains and set their document root directory to the same directory that your "real" website is in. This way they will deliver the same content as the main domain while you have separate e-mail capabilities.

5. NateWon

NateWon New Pleskian

20%
    Great thanks, sounds like a good solution, will check it out