• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Domain configuration question

fabrizioi

Basic Pleskian
Hi to all,

I came form parallels plesk panel 9.x.

I have buy a new dedicated server with plesk panel 11.x

With my surprise I cannot configure a domain like this shop.mydomain.com

For example if the mydomain.com is hosted in other machine and i want to configure a third level domain, is not possible in plesk 11 ? Why ?

I must setup mydomain.com and after add subdomains ?

bye

Why you can't create domain shop.mydomain.com in Plesk?
Also you can try to use domain forwarding.

Hi Igor,

As you can see in the attachment plesk insert the prefix www in the domain/subscription setup page.

In previous version we have a checkbox before the "www" and we were free to setup an hosting like shop.mydomain.com

Thanks

F.

Attachments

• plesk_11_1.jpg
    plesk_11_1.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 39
Yes, in Plesk 11 www prefix will be added automatically. But domain name without www prefix will works too.

If I correctly understood you have created this domain on Plesk 9 without hosting? Why you can't create service plan without hosting on Plesk 11 and create subscription for this domain without hosting too?

Hi Igor,

I believe that we have misunderstood.

In plesk Panel <= 9.x I can do the following:

Add Client -> Add Domain -> Add a domain like this http://shop.mydomain.com (without www, a 3th level domain)

In plesk 11 I cannot do the same, as you can see in the screenshoot;
In the first one plesk automatically add a www prefix so I cannot setup the domain (http://shop.mydomain.com)
In the second one if possible: simply deselect the checkbox and I can: setup a domain like this <http://shop.mydomain.com>

I do not understand why are you concerned that your domain will work fine with the www and without www prefix?
If it is so critical for you, you can just go to DNS settings for this created domain and remove www CNAME record there.

Hi Igor,

we were misunderstood again.

I try to explain better.

I have a customer with an hosting of type DNS Managment, hosted on my provider (not in plesk)
The dns configuration is something like this

mydomain.com 80.80.80.81 (hosted for example in some machine with a website created by another agency)
www.mydomain.com 80.80.80.81 (like above; this are hosted in plesk in the same hosting setup, understand ?)
shop.mydomain.com 70.70.70.71 (I want to host this in my dedicated server; this is a 3th level domain; no www prefix must exists)

In plesk <= 9.x I can configure a domain like this, that as a matter of fact is a 3th level domain configured in a separate plesk hosting (understand ?)

How to do this in plesk 11 ?????

So to be as clear as possible, when an user open the browser:

http://www.mydomain.com or http://mydomain.com the user will see a website hosted in some machine not directly managed by me.

http://shop.mydomain.com or (if needed and support configured) https://shop.mydomain.com the user will see a website hosted on my new machine plesk 11 managed.

Regards

F.

Thanks you very much for your help

Sorry, but I can't understand why you can't create domain shop.mydomain.com on Plesk 11 and set DNS records according to your needs?

Hi Igor,

if you look at my post number three, you can see in the attachments that www prefix is added automatically when you add a new subscription, in plesk <= 9.x is different ... you can understand this step ?

I believe that www.shop.mydomain.com is not the same of shop.mydomain.com.

In fact plesk 11 manage subdomains after you have subscribe a domain; for example if I add a customer in plesk 11 called John, then add a subscription for www.mydomain.com, then I can manage as a 3th level domain shop.mydomain.com, *.mydomain.com as options of mydomain.com

But for exmaple if I'd like to manage only http://shop.mydomain.com I can't .

If you know that I can, please tell me the step by step instructions.

Thanks

F.

Absolutely the same. www is only ServerAlias for domain.

In fact plesk 11 manage subdomains after you have subscribe a domain; for example if I add a customer in plesk 11 called John, then add a subscription for www.mydomain.com, then I can manage as a 3th level domain shop.mydomain.com, *.mydomain.com as options of mydomain.com

Domains and subdomains have no any differences from Plesk 11 point of view. You can use own DNS zone for subdomain (this behaviour can be switched) and create and manage subdomain as usual domain. But you can also create subdomains in usual way too as you have described.

Dear IgorG,

Ok I have understand your reply.

I have contacted the support of my provider in italy: Aruba Spa.

I'm waiting for some investigations, after that, I will post the reply here, and we try to find the solutions.

I believe that today my provider tell me the result of investigations.

Thanks you very much for your support.

See you later

F.

Why don't you just try? Setup your domain as you like, don't care about the www-prefix and call your domain by that name in a browser. Given, the DNS server responsible for the <mydomain.com> namespace already offers an entry for <shop.mydomain.com> pointing to YOUR IP, you will see your newly setup website. And as long as this DNS server doesn't offer an entry for <www.shop.mydomain.com> too, no one ever will call your website by that name!
Just give it a try ;)

(and even if someone calls that www.shop..... you can still define a redirect within apache pointing to shop....)

Hi all,

After talking with my provider, I have configured the domain like reccomended in this thread.

I still believe that the www prefix in the domain subscription can create a misunderstandig.

Many thanks for your help.

Fabrizio

i explain

Because when you add an subdomain without a prefix www you can set a ssl for him, set an ip fix and have DNS records exclusives. Things that you cant have if you are inside of domain like a subdomain.

why Plesk remove this simple feature?

can they insert this in next service pack?

regards

hi,

I'm in the same position; I'm just migrating from a Plesk 9 to a Plesk 11 with a new host.

I have the same frustration - why do I have to have www at the front of every domain? this doesn't make sense to me and is a step backwards.

To me there is a clear difference between a third level domain and a subdomain. "shop.mydomain.com" could be a stand alone entity that is unrelated to www.mydomain.com - so why does Plesk assume that all domains a) start with www and b) that all 3rd level domains are sub domains of "www"?

What worries me more is that IgorG, who seems to work for Plesk, doesn't understand the distinction. Maybe I'm missing something but to me, in a technical environment, "www.shop.mydomain.com" is not the same as "shop.mydomain.com" and it's as clear as the nose on my face. DNS is a fiddly old thing and we all know how easy it is to end up with a certificate that fails or emails that all get bounced just because of the smallest little configuration items.

IgorG asks "why can't you create domain shop.mydomain.com"? Well, because Plesk insists on appending "www" to every domain that I add. I throw that back at IgorG - how DO I create shop.mydomain.com in Plesk? because from what I see, in Plesk 11 it can't be done! And I'd like to be able to do this.

I also echo other sentiments on this thread, I'd like to see Plesk add this simple but obvious option back into the configuration. "www" should be optional.

I would also ask for a more clear description of what you suggest I do in the interim? If I want shop.mydomain.com, or xyz.domain.com, how do I do that in Plesk 11, when the DNS is managed on another machine? I truly don't know how to do this, but I need to.

Thanks,

Me, I still don't understand the problem with www prefix. Of course it would be better having the ability to choose wether www-prefix is added or not. But at least, when creating a domain bla.com you can reach it by name bla.com as well as by name www.bla.com as the www-prefix is no more than an alias name for the domain. In the end it's up to you to make use of that prefix or not. Just like a cigarette lighter in a car doesn't insist you to smoke when driving.

What worries me more is that IgorG, who seems to work for Plesk, doesn't understand the distinction. Maybe I'm missing something but to me, in a technical environment, "www.shop.mydomain.com" is not the same as "shop.mydomain.com" and it's as clear as the nose on my face.
Once again and again. www in Plesk context is _only_ alias for domain and there is absolutely no difference how you get your domain - without www or with www. Previously there were a ton of requests about adding www prefix for all domains by default. We did it absolutely transparently. You can never remember this www prefix and forget about its existence. But if you suddenly need - it's already on your domain.

Back