• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Domain Limits

J

jlandes

When setting up a domain or a domain template, what's the following:

What's the difference between the Disk Space option in the Limits section verses the Hard Disk quota option in the Physical Hosting section.

What's the mail quota option used for?

I basically want to give me customers a fixed amount of disk space. I don't care whether it's used for mail or Web, just that they don't go over their full disk quota.

I hope my questions are not dumb. :)

What I have researched:

Limit = Can be exceed.
Quota = Can not be exceeded.

Disk space limit is "only" a value, which will result in an "alarm" if it is exceeded. (See domain state within the domain overview.)

Mailbox quota and hard disk quota (physical hosting) are values, which can't be exceeded. An E-Mail to an exceeded mailbox will bounce. A ftp-transfer will abort.

Assume a domain of 100 MB disk limit, 100 MB mail quota, 10 mailusers and unlimited ftp-quota. All mailusers can be set to the domain-default of 100 MB mail quota.

You then have a domain, where mailusers can store 10*100 = 1000 MB mail and unlimited diskspace with ftp. But you can set up, that you'll get an E-Mail if the limit of 100 MB is exceeded...

insel

Let me get this straight -- if I set a hard disk quota limit of say, 100MB, then even if I set the mailbox quota to unlimited, the user will still be limited to the hard disk quota. In short, hard disk quota is the over-all limit of anything being stored inside that particular domain. Am I right?

Originally posted by pran
Let me get this straight -- if I set a hard disk quota limit of say, 100MB, then even if I set the mailbox quota to unlimited, the user will still be limited to the hard disk quota. In short, hard disk quota is the over-all limit of anything being stored inside that particular domain. Am I right?

You don't have a hard disk quota. (Only for FTP it's a "quota" if I'm right.)

In your example I could store unlimited mail on your server. But you can setup, that you get a mail if I'm over my limit of 100 MB.

Limit = can be exceeded.
Quota = Can not be exceeded.

That's what I observed.

For the problem with mailboxes see http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21669 also.

"Disk Space" is a Plesk thing, "Hard Disk Quota" relies on the OS' disk quotas. "Disk Space" is counted by Plesk once per day, when it looks at various directories and checks their size. OS' disk quotas on linux work based on the ownership of the files and are counted on the fly.

Each domain has it's own system user (also subdomains if you set them up this way, it's optional) so all the files that the domain user uploads through ftp or file manager belong to this system user. That's why the OS can count them against the "hard" disk qouta, it knows whom they belong to as soon as you try to upload them trough ftp.

But the way Plesk sets up qmail makes all mail files on the server belong to a single user / group, not to every separate domain user. That's why they aren't counted in hard disk quota for each separate domain... It's either a design flaw or a smart move, depends on how you look at it.

So "soft" disk qouta will warn you if you exceed your limits because of mail files, but "hard" disk qouta won't limit it and you won't lose mail if you reach your "hard" quota.

There are some other side effects of the "hard" disk quota setting - e.g. if you ever make a quick backup in shell and just copy the entire httpdocs directory of a user to some remote part of the server, you can make the user go over his hard limit if you don't chown the backup files, etc.

You can use some shell commands to get a quick overview of the "hard" quotas, try 'man repquota' to get the list of all OS quotas and 'man quota' for single users...

Unlimited (hard disk quota is not supported)

Hi guys... Im having problems with my Hard Disk Quota... is not working for my plesk version i guess is the new OS that we install recently on the server... i get this message on the option of Hard Disk Quota on the Physical Hosting section Unlimited (hard disk quota is not supported)

My OS is Ubuntu 5.0.4

MY Plesk is 7.5.4 Reloaded

Hope someone can help me with this issue...

Thx...

Back