• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Domains across multiple drives

D

Deleted member 190513

Hello,

I am very new to Plesk, and even more so with Linux, so please bear with me.

Currently I'm running Plesk over a VPS at OVH. I just added an additional disk and now I want to split my domains across these disks. The goal is to allow customers to have their own disk to guarantee their storage demands at all time.

All domains are created in /var/www/vhosts , but can I specify a domain to be created at another place and somehow link that dir to the path mentioned above? So a dir that is physically stored at another path somehow virtually end up as a subfolder to the vhost dir and thereby is recognized by Plesk.

The method must not require me to format the disks, since I would have to add more disks now and then. The method must also be pretty darn foolproof, since I myself am very new to all this.

I'll appreciate any kind of help. Thank you.

I was this post at Plesk & Multiple Disks

"say if you created abc.com it will get created at /var/www/vhosts/abc.com
and lest assume you have mounted your other drive as /mnt/d
so now what you need to do is 1st make the backup of abc.com folder like

mv abc.com /mnt/d/abc.com
then ln -s /mnt/d/abc.com /var/www/vhosts/abc.com

Thats it, now all the web data for abc.com will be on the otherdrive, however mail and mysql data will be on the primary drive, which can be moved on the same line which explained above
and you can combine that in script and trigger it with event handler so everything will be automated.
"

Would this actually work? It's as easy as creating the domain as usual in Plesk and then run these two lines (with minor changes) after I mounted a new disk?

I guess a visual presentation of this method would be something like this (would it work?)
bG3MwHR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just looking the same thing up earlier this morning. I came across a few ideas that may prove useful.

When I test it out, I'll report back here.

Did you ever find anything? I'm still looking for some help.

Cpanel does have a feature where if you mount your additional disk under /home2, it will start saving accounts there if the main disk (/home) gets full. Didn't read about this in depth, though. But it seemed interesting to resolve your situation.

Funny thing is, I went with Plesk because of something that Cpanel *does not* have: the ability to store mailboxes (and mailboxes only) on a separate disk (I have a Vultr VPS w/ block storage just for mails).

You can't store vhosts files in different locations. Default vhosts location is defined in /etc/psa/psa.conf as HTTPD_VHOSTS_D parameter. But you can change this location for all your vhosts with transvhosts.pl utility:

Code:
# plesk bin transvhosts.pl --help
You should specify destination directory.
Utility to transfer vhosts content from HTTPD_VHOSTS_D directory to new place.

Usage:
        --dest-dir   <path>  Destination path. Path to new vhosts directory.
                             Example: /path/to/new/vhosts.
                             If directory does not exist it will be created.

--correct-scripts    Changes user scripts.
                             Old vhost path is replaced to new path in content of all files.

Back