• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Domains with "ß" identified as equal to "ss"

Bitpalast

Plesk addicted!
Plesk Guru
Before reporting this as a bug I am asking the community to check whether they are seeing the same issue in their Plesk:

When you create a domain like "große-anzahl.xx" and then try to add another domain "grosse-anzahl.xx" which is a different spelling, the second domain is denied, because Plesk argues, that the domain already exists. It seems that in the case of using "ß" in a domain name Plesk transcribes that internally to "ss" (which is the correct transcription but should not be done for domain names), then compares the transcribed version to the other domain and sees equality.

Yes that could be, with the exception that we are not using the local DNS. So the issue seems to not be the DNS component but the routine that stores the newly created domain before anything else is done with it.

Yes, DNS is one of subsystems that got domain name already converted to "ss". I suppose this is the same issue.

It seems that this issue has not been fixed yet. We are running into it once or twice a month. Is this listed as a Bug and will it be fixed?

Technically I don't think that this is a bug. Plesk needs to convert IDN domains to punycode. If you check the psa.domains table you can see that they have the "name" and "displayName" fields to handle this.

If you check a punycode converter you can see that große-anzahl.xx gets converted to grosse-anzahl.xx:

Punycoder - the Punycode converter (IDN converter)

Internally any of the internal services like Postfix, bind, etc rely on and use the punycode version: grosse-anzahl.xx

The consequence of this behavior is that a domain
große-anzahl.xx
cannot co-exist with
grosse-anzahl.xx
on the same server. A customer who books both, for example in a business name like
straßenbauamt.xx
strassenbauamt.xx
needs two different hosting accounts on two different hosts to be able to manage the domains with Plesk. I do not think that this is good approach, because customers normally want all their domains in once place.

Da mein Englisch nicht das beste ist, Antworte ich dir einfach mal auf deutsch Peter.

Wir hatten das selbe Problem. Entsprechend wandeln wir Domains mit ß einfach in Punicode um und hinterlegen diese Domain im Abo. In diesem Fall dann z.B "xn--straenbauamt-o9a.de". Plesk Wandelt dies dann wieder korrekt in ß um.

That is what Plesk should do, and as it doesn't, it is a bug. It does so for other umlaut domains, but not for the ß-domains.

Peter,

It is possible to create in Plesk domain strassenbauamt.xx and then add xn--straenbauamt-o9a.xx alias for that domain. Looks like this should cover your use case.
Please explain if this is not working for you for some reasons.

I think the key issues we previously experienced is email. For example when using the alias workaround that you are suggesting, it is not possible to create e-mail addresses for the ß-domain. And when adding the domain as the IDN spelling as a main domain, e-mails are not always properly processed (for unknown reason). I did not test the later with the latest MU-version of the Onyx, but I remember that at the time when we discovered the issue, it did not work correctly for some reason.

So, yes, for the www service, it is possible to use the IDN spelling, but for the alias workaround, mailboxes cannot be created for that domain. Or do I misunderstand the alias and aliases automatically affect all mailboxes of the aliased domains, too?

Back