• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Dovecot at Plesk

E

EdwardDekker

Hello everybody,

I want to start a discussion about Dovecot. A lot of users are using Dovecot and also Courier-imap.
The difference between those two systems are obviously clear.

Primarily do i use IMAP and the main reason that I want to switch is the IMAP support for Outlook 2010 and Evolution.

Does anyone have some experience and could I configure Dovecot at my server with Plesk 10.3.1.
Are there any manuals already at Parallels to make it so?

Last edited by a moderator:
only thing that I have found

This is the only thing that I've ever found about setting up Dovecot and Plesk (in German):
http://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=125205

This has been requested a few times but I'm not sure if Parallels has anything in the works. The big problem is that in the last few years there has been a big transition over from POP3 to IMAP (people want syncing with their mobile phones) so mailbox sizes have grown exponentially. It's not uncommon to have mailboxes over 2GB and competing services like Gmail offer 8GB mailboxes for free.

The disk IO caused by having so many tiny files in one directory just kills the server (inode usage is crazy). Courier IMAP has none of the performance features of dovecote (caching , the ability to write indexes on a separate disk etc).

Hopefully parallels will take a serious look at dovecot soon so that our plesk servers will be able to handle the change in mailbox usage.

Dovecot should be used by Plesk

This is the only thing that I've ever found about setting up Dovecot and Plesk (in German):
http://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=125205

This has been requested a few times but I'm not sure if Parallels has anything in the works. The big problem is that in the last few years there has been a big transition over from POP3 to IMAP (people want syncing with their mobile phones) so mailbox sizes have grown exponentially. It's not uncommon to have mailboxes over 2GB and competing services like Gmail offer 8GB mailboxes for free.

The disk IO caused by having so many tiny files in one directory just kills the server (inode usage is crazy). Courier IMAP has none of the performance features of dovecote (caching , the ability to write indexes on a separate disk etc).

Hopefully parallels will take a serious look at dovecot soon so that our plesk servers will be able to handle the change in mailbox usage.

Indeed, the mail boxes growing exponentially by mobile devices.

Also a security issue:
A situation when you'll lost your mobile or PDA. The finder of your mobile device could also read those e-mails today by POP or IMAP. That implicates that others will read your e-mails by mobile. This will not happening when you use IMAP, when you change the password of that mailbox, the mailbox drops all e-mails at the old password. So your e-mailboxes are safe when you're lost a mobile or PDA.

And there are more advantages to support IMAP by Dovecot than Courier.
I think, there should be more initiative at this point by Parallels!

Trying to create a config file

Last night i do trying to create a configuration file.

So far do i have a small success.
And getting already connected to my mail server.
The login are still buggy, problem should be solved when the configuration file is fixed.

Feel free to discuss and develop with me a good Dovecot system (including Parallels).
You'll can see all of the configuration files at my attachments.

Good luck.

Attachments

• dovecot.conf.txt
    42.2 KB · Views: 30
  • dovecot-psa-sql.conf.txt
    338 bytes · Views: 31
Dovecot and server side filtering with sieve is a must!

Hallo,
just wanted to point out, that we too think, plesk should be able to run with dovecot.
We are new Plesk users and we couldn't really believe it, when we first found out that this a seamlessly spread hosting software as plesk panel still uses courier. Courier has some obvoius drawbacks against dovecot or cyrus.
But the main arguments for dovecot is its speed and the easy ability to configure sieve-filtering.

So i really beg you at parallels to finally implement dovecot!
I don't think that implementing this great imap-server can be this difficult, but looking though the forum this seems to be a widely awaited feature.

Our customers ask us, why they can't set up filter rules with the web-groupware we offer them.
We can only answer, that the groupware has filter-rules-configuration, but the plesk panel hosting software doesn't really allow to use this features, as it uses courier, which has no sieve support.

Make us plesk customers happy!!!
:-D

Thanks
Sascha

feature request regarding dovecot

Hallo and thanks for your reply.
The feature request you pointed me to is from Mar 2, 2011!
A little update on this issue would be highly apreciated...

Thanks again
Sascha

so...no updates at all?
That's pretty odd.... As i look through this forum, dovecot support seems to be one of the most awaited improvements...

Hello Igor and Plesk Team!

Unfortunately the RSS link you provided does not (currently) include information on the plans for the inclusion of dovecot support.

Can you please give us an update on the current release plans for integrating dovecot in Plesk? Is it still on the "Postponed" list or are there actual plans to integrate it with the next major release (which would make a lot of users very happy).

Thanks a lot,
Hans

Back