• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Dovecot issues

Nomadturk

Basic Pleskian
In my setup I have Postfix and Dovecot and since if you want them to be secure, plesk's out-of-the-box setup of both is not sufficient so I was into tweaking/hardening them.

My system is Debian 7, all the upgrades that plesk allowed me are done. For mail, I only used what Plesk suggested me. Meaning I have no supplementart dovecot packages installed.

I have added postscreen, spf, dkim checks. Enabled greylisting, disabled all ssl but v1.2, modified the ciphers list, enabled and encouraged ssl etc.
Now all I have left to do is implementing virus scans for incoming and outgoing mails.

Or so I thought.
Yesterday I had to spend a lot of time to figure out why my dovecot server was constantly crashing.

The thing is dovecot was getting Killed with signal 15 minutes after starting. For no apparent reason.

I enabled all debug parameters but couldn't find anything solid. Google didn't help much either.
I had to disable /enable all my conf get line by line in order to find the culprit.
Then I finally got it. When I disabled "service imap|pop3-login" the crashes stopped.

The corrresponding dovecot log from the start of the server till the error (~2minutes)
Is attached with the Users/IP's replaced.

Now I am pretty sure that IF I try to disable non-secure pop3 and imap ports with a command like:
Code:
inet_listener pop3 {
      port = 0
      }

dovecot will crash.

My dovecot.conf is also attached

So, either there's a bug with the dovecot packaged with Plesk or that I'm stuck with port 110 and 143.
Can anybody confirm this is not just me?

Attachments

• dovecot.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 0
  • dovecot-log.txt
    28.3 KB · Views: 1
Contact Odin Support Team if community can't help.

Back