• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Downgrade from mariadb 10.11 to 10.9

onebronsup

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.56 Update #1
Hello.
We have an ubuntu server running Mariadb 10.11 and we would like to know if there is a safe way to downgrade to 10.9. The server is not in production yet so there is no databases in it. We are trying to avoid reinstall because we have made some modifications. The main issue is that we tryed to run Mariadb 10.9 in a docker container to serve our needs, the issue is that the main app that has to use that database is also running in a docker container in the same server and we are not able to find a way to make those two containers to communicate. Every help would ne appreciated!!!

You cannot downgrade directly, because the schema of the database would need to be downgraded, too, and there is no command for that. You could try to dump your databases, then remove the database server, install an earlier version and then import the dumps again. But it is somewhat risky that this works.

Thank you for your reply!!! Basically the only dump we will have to import after that is the psa database because there is no other database yet. So is there a guide of commands on how to achieve this?

The steps would be to completely remove the database server from the operating system. I have never tried that with a running Plesk, though. After putting an older MariaDB server onto the system and importing the psa database, you'll also need to run plesk sbin packagemng -sdf to tell Plesk the new package version. I do not really know what will happen afterwards. It could be that Plesk won't accept a "downgrade" of the version. If it was my system, I'd test it on a test setup before trying the same on a production server.

Hi @onebronsup,

Instead of attempting to downgrade the database server, I would suggest trying to get the docker instances working instead. It's not really that hard per say, you just need to make sure firewall rules are configured properly and making sure your docker settings are correct.

And, tbh, the way Plesk implicates the docker user interface is kinda meh that I'm using portainer instead (I have a main portainer server running on my home lab server with a mini agent on my web server that's running plesk so I have access that way). You could also just SSH into the server and run docker commands directly and even run docker compose.

Thank you for your answers. We tryied in a test server the solution Peter suggest but it didn't went well so we tried to make docker container work and talk each and finnaly we did it just allowing in - out traffic in Plesk Firewall for the subnet of the network that both containers are. We also use portainer and we have tryied a lot of configurations but we didn't think that it could be Plesk Firewall as containers where reachable from outside... Thank you again!!!

Back