• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Email server sick after Onyx upgrade

ismail el moussati

Basic Pleskian
Good evening,

Since i upgraded to Onyx version, i am facing constantly errors in my webmail server, 1st one is sometimes i cant connect to my email smtp.domaine.com faild to connect.

2nd issue when it works, to receive/send an email sometime it take more than 5 hours to send/receive!

I have installed Letsencrypt which never affect the webmail, i didn't select use SSL for the webmail or something regarding the email.

Centos 6.8

Have you tried to rebuild mailserver settings with

# plesk repair mail

?

Actually, mchk is outdated utility, but anyway, you can try to use it. plesk repair mail is modern solution.

Just go to command line and run

# plesk repair mail

This is the results:
Repairing the mail server configuration ............................. [OK]

Error messages: 0; Warnings: 0; Errors resolved: 0

The problem is, sometime while sending an email it take long time to send or receive !

Your mail client cannot connect to the SMTP port on your host.
- Did you change anything in the Plesk firewall, e.g. with mail ports?
- There is a possibility that the issue is not linked to Plesk at all. Please consider to check your local computer's and network's security settings, too. It could be that a software or your router is blocking a port.

Your mail client cannot connect to the SMTP port on your host.
- Did you change anything in the Plesk firewall, e.g. with mail ports?
- There is a possibility that the issue is not linked to Plesk at all. Please consider to check your local computer's and network's security settings, too. It could be that a software or your router is blocking a port.
Dear Peter,
Negative, the firewall running up and never changed anything.
The server run 5/5, the question is SMTP runs as well but not always i don't receive emails immediately, e.g 12 hours sometimes more and sometimes i received it instantly. However, this error raised since i updated to Onyx not before.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

When you log in to webmail on the host, can you send an receive mails there without experiencing the issue or does the same issue occur, too, when you are using webmail (through a web browser)?

When you log in to webmail on the host, can you send an receive mails there without experiencing the issue or does the same issue occur, too, when you are using webmail (through a web browser)?
Unfortunately no, when smtp down the webmail, after sending an email, it shows, SMTP Failed to connect.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can you please check, whether you are using fail2ban on that server? Is the address "127.0.0.1" listed on the blocked address page?

Can you please check, whether SMTP service is really online, e.g. Tools & Settings > Services Management > SMTP Server (...)?

Is your domain name's MX entry configured with the public IP address of your server? On Windows command line:
# nslookup
> set q=mx
> yourdomain.com
returns: [yourdomain.com MX preference = 0, mail exchange = result-mail-domain ...]
> exit
# ping result-mail-domain
= same IP address as the one that your host has?

Can you please check, whether you are using fail2ban on that server? Is the address "127.0.0.1" listed on the blocked address page?

Can you please check, whether SMTP service is really online, e.g. Tools & Settings > Services Management > SMTP Server (...)?

Is your domain name's MX entry configured with the public IP address of your server? On Windows command line:
# nslookup
> set q=mx
> yourdomain.com
returns: [yourdomain.com MX preference = 0, mail exchange = result-mail-domain ...]
> exit
# ping result-mail-domain
= same IP address as the one that your host has?
Hello sir, Thank you for your suggestions.

1- The adress 127.0.0.1 isn't blocked ( I guess if it is blocked i can't receive/send email at all )
2- SMTP Server (Postfix) Service running well
3- domain.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.domain.com pinging is good 0 lost of packages.

Very strange. If no firewall is blocking the traffic on the server and you are sure that the SMTP service is online, there is no legitimate reason why it should sometimes be able to connect to localhost via webmail and sometimes not. You could try to replace the existing SMTP server with another one, e.g. when you are using Postfix, switch to
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-current --install-component qmail
or if you are using Qmail, switch to
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-current --install-component postfix

If the problem that you cannot use SMTP through webmail persists after this change, try to reproduce the issue and see the content of /var/log/messages and /var/log/maillog at the time when you perform a test. They should show some kind of log entry that describes the issue further. It could be an "out of resources" issue, e.g. too little RAM left, disk space exhausted, inodes exhausted. If you are not on a dedicated server, but in a virtualization, also ask your provider whether there are known issues to SMTP ports in the virtualization environment.

Thanks Peter for the great post, i am using Postfix currently in my own VPS, is switching will lead to lost all my current emails ?

Right now i set a corn job with mail repair every 1 hours it seems up since the morning, i will check if the problem back again, i will switch to Qmail.

I will keep you updated, thank you very much

Back