• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Emails from hosted domains not routing to 3rd party servers

missionaryman

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

My Plesk panel (11.5.30) hosts a number of domains that all use Google Apps for Business to host their emails. No emails are hosted on the panel, and the mail server is turned off. So is the DNS server.

Using the mail() php function to send automatic confirmation emails from a website hosted on the panel, they arrive at any address NOT hosted locally, however they fail to arrive at any address whose website is locally hosted.

My initial research suggested that Plesk was routing locally, hence the problem, however the mailserver has been turned off the for domain/webspace.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to trouble-shoot this issue?

Thanks,

MM

Hi

do you use qmail or postfix?

if qmail, what do you get on this command:
grep <DOMAIN> /var/qmail/control/*

Postfix.

There is a box in panel called "enable mail management functions in panel" that is currently ticked, although the mailserver is off. Is this relevant?

"enable mail management functions in panel" is the wrong setting.

Domains -> <DOMAIN> -> Mail -> Change Settings -> "Activate mail service on domain" is what you search...

@danliker, I think you've missed the point of my post. I don't want to activate the mail service on the domain, I want it de-activated. In fact, I've already de-activated it, in the hope that emails to 3rd party servers would be correctly routed.

@danliker,

You appear to have misunderstood my request. I do not wish to turn on the server, but to make sure it is turned off so I can send email from my server to 3rd party servers.

@danliker: I guess thats not the right setting.

I've got the same problem: One client hosts its mail on an external exchange server, so for that domain "Activate mail service on domain" ist off. Other clients that are hosted on the same server can't send mail to the client with the external mailserver. Those mails get bounced: "550 5.1.1 ... Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table".

Postfix doesn't relay that mail even though the DNS has a correct MX pointing to the external server.

I also tried http://routingtheworld.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/plesk-postfix-domain-based-smarthost/ but that didn't work out.

Anyone out there know of a solution? My work-around is not ideal - it involves emailing to personal email addresses rather than corporate ones. Should I raise a bug-report?

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, MICROUPDATE, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Parallels Plesk Panel v11.5.30_build115130819.13 os_CentOS 6, Centos 6.4, AuthenticAMD, AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4284

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

Plesk hosted site has email provided by Google Apps.
Plesk has local DNS disabled, and mail server disabled.
Using php mail() function to send emails to hosted site email address results in no emails being received.
Using php mail() function to send emails to non-hosted site email address results in successful delivery.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Example plesk hosted site: example1.com (DNS entries point to Google Apps servers for mx records)
Using mail() to send email to [email protected] from example1.com site results in no email received.
Using mail() to send email to [email protected] (non plesk hosted site) from example1.com results in emails received successfully.

ACTUAL RESULT

No emails received at plesk hosted site when sent from plesk hosted site

EXPECTED RESULT

Emails expected to be delivered successfully.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Can provide actual site details if required.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The fact in that Postfix delivers mail to local mailboxes. Therefore if you completely disable Postfix - you can't deliver mails to local mailboxes.

I don't want to deliver to local mailboxes. I want to deliver to a mailbox on a 3rd party server. There are no local mailboxes on the plesk server.

Could you please try to send email from console and check delivering?

@IgorG: This is my description of the same problem:

PRODUCT, VERSION, MICROUPDATE, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
Plesk 11.5.30 Update #17, OS Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS, Mailserver Postfix

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
Client A has Website hosted on Plesk, uses its own MS Exchange Server (at their site) to receive mail, therefore email-service in Plesk disabled for this particular subscription, no mail accounts defined. DNS for this subscription is disabled, external DNS has MX pointing to MS Exchange (3rd party server). Tests with enabled DNS and MX on that machine show same result.

Client B on the same machine can't send mail to Client A via SMTP: mails bounce with "550 5.1.1 ... Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table"

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Setup as described above

ACTUAL RESULT
Mails bouncing

EXPECTED RESULT
Mails get relayed to 3rd party server

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

what is describen in that article as solution, is what i would suggest to check out too. i have have experience with similar scenarios a few times

make sure that:
- plesk DNS: pointing to correct places
- plesk mailboxes: removed
- plesk mail service for that domain: disabled

yet, sometimes even with that, it didn't work for me:
on one specific server i had problems with this still not working and the solution was to reconfigure all vhosts (IgorG might point you to the correct command for that)
on another server this didn't work because there happened some corruption on 2 domains that recently migrated. so i deleted those domains and re-migrated them and all worked.

Last edited:
IgorG,

yes that's the same kind of problem. But in my case, MX is correct. When I do nslookup I get the correct answer that MX points to the third party server.

Can you help me with reconfiguring the domain as Sven L. described above? All the other items are like Sven L.'s description.

Thanks,

Jörg

I think your case might be solved by enabling DNS service, create a few basic entries like mx, mail and point them to the proper IPs

Quite easy to do, so might be worth a shot trying, right?

Back