• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Emails no longer work with Blackberry since rebuild

scottlpool2003

Basic Pleskian
I recently took over a dedicated server and had a major problem with it, it needed a complete rebuild and there were no backups to go off.

Since the rebuild, I've slowly managed to get everything back to normal, but seem to be having difficulty with connecting email accounts to Blackberry phones.

Initially, I assumed that it was a problem on Blackberry's side, but one of the people (there's a few) having the problems contacted both Blackberry and their service provider to which they said it was not their problem, it is something to do with the server (no more info available, sorry).

The issue is trying to get past the username/password as there's a "invalid username or password" error. I had a sneaky feeling it may be the ports, but you can't change the ports until you set the account up?

Would there be any other obvious issue that I'm overlooking? I'm quite new to server management.

Version
=============================

Parallels Plesk Panel version 9.5.4
Operating system Linux 2.6.18-274.el5
CPU GenuineIntel, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz

I did call the hosting company and they had a look and said that there didn't appear to be anything obviously wrong but that it is a dedicated server so that I'm responsible for the services on it.

The emails worked fine on the Blackberry's before the server melted down so it's a strange one.

Still going nowhere here.

It looks apparent that Blackberry have the outgoing port numbers set to 995 using SSL.

I use port 25 without SSL.

Blackberry are saying they can't change this???

Is there any way for me to circumnavigate the problem?

Thanks for the reply abdi

Yes outlook, windows live mail, iPhone, Galaxy all work perfectly. It has to be a problem Blackberry's side.

Still going nowhere here.

It looks apparent that Blackberry have the outgoing port numbers set to 995 using SSL.

I use port 25 without SSL.

Blackberry are saying they can't change this???

Is there any way for me to circumnavigate the problem?

Scot, is the problem in sending mail out of the blackberry or both sending and receiving?

The last time I had such a problem with blackberry then I realized it were to do with Firewall that had locked some of there IPs. You know they have a bunch of them ...

Thanks for the reply. Yes Blackberry said they cannot change the ports. I cannot physically change the ports because I can't get past the login screen. This is what made me think it wasn't the port as it says username or password incorrect.

It most certainly isn't incorrect. It was as if the server was not authenticating. I don't have a blackberry but I think from reading up on it, after you put the username and password in, the next page allows you to edit the port settings?

I did look at the firewall and put a bunch of Blackberry's IP addresses in the allow list, still didn't work.

Back