• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Encrypt database at rest - Mariadb

Dave W

Regular Pleskian
Hi all,

I'm wondering if any of you are running Mariadb 10.1 with encryption enabled?

Is Onyx ok with this?

Any comments welcome.

Dave

I'm not using MariaDB with encryption enabled, but to help you receive better responses from our community I suggest you be more specific to understand what your question/question is about.

Can you run Mariadb with encryption at rest enabled with Onyx?

D.

Last edited:
I'm not using MariaDB with encryption enabled, but to help you receive better responses from our community I suggest you be more specific to understand what your question/question is about.

Why do you even reply? His original post makes complete sense.

D.

I'll test it out and let you know shortly if things break.

D.

The answer is yes. If you're on CentOS 7, you'll need to add the MariaDB repo and upgrade MariaDB first, the version in the base repo is not new enough.

EDIT: INSTALL MARIADB 10.1 FOR COMPATIBILITY WITH PLESK REPAIR UTILITY. INSTALLING MARIADB 10.2 WILL FUNCTION BUT CAN NOT BE USED WITH THE PLESK REPAIR UTILITY.

[root@plesk ~]# mysqld -V
mysqld Ver 10.2.13-MariaDB for Linux on x86_64 (MariaDB Server)

[root@plesk ~]# tail /var/lib/mysql/admin_test_encryption_db/pet.ibd
���k�vG^G������%zk�`��3���8l��b�a�̧��][6Ѐ�A��R*ړ}���Յ�J�1^W5<ב�?��T�i���=(�Et�+��)lmJ����ע���
���A�����W��p�u���J�gGHI�ed����f�T��C��'��s(�A�+�wO{�o�o�J��h.Ҿk��v�4�Ľ�@1��]ŷ�L�ڏR�͇u��u��

(^ beautiful isn't it)

wtwxs5.png

Last edited:
Yes, but pay attention that Plesk does not officially support 10.2.
The 10.2 version works for Plesk Onyx, but in some functions, it throws errors. For example when you run "plesk repair db", the db cannot be properly repaired, because some date field formats do not have the expected format for Plesk. And it is unclear whether an upgrade of such an Onyx installation to a newer version is possible without running into additional trouble.

Yes, but pay attention that Plesk does not officially support 10.2.
The 10.2 version works for Plesk Onyx, but in some functions, it throws errors. For example when you run "plesk repair db", the db cannot be properly repaired, because some date field formats do not have the expected format for Plesk. And it is unclear whether an upgrade of such an Onyx installation to a newer version is possible without running into additional trouble.

Interesting. Encryption works in 10.1 - Do you know how Plesk handles 10.1?

Back