• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Error 1603 when upgrading 10.1.1 to 12

AngieH

New Pleskian
Hi I am having some difficulty getting plesk 12 working. It was working fine on 10, but since we tried to update to 12 it failed and the plesk panel is now inaccessible

I tried to upgrade Plesk 10.1.1 using the update function on the Plesk panel, but it gave the following error
upgrading Parallels Panel SQL server...
MSI: Error! Critical action 'Upgrade data of MySQL Server...' failed:
Command "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin\mysqlmng_adm.exe" --upgrade-server-data --initial-ver=4.1 --target-ver=5.5.41 failed with code 1.
Output:
Stop service...
Removing InnoDB log files...
Start service...
Upgrade only the system tables...
Execute C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\MySQL\bin\mysql_upgrade.exe --force --upgrade-system-tables -P8306 failed[1]: Looking for 'mysql.exe' as: C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\MySQL\bin\mysql.exe
FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed
The --upgrade-system-tables option was used, databases won't be touched.

Failed to install 'C:\ParallelsInstaller\parallels\PANEL-WIN_12.0.18\dist-msi-Microsoft-2003-i386\mysql-admin.msi': Fatal error during installation. (Error code 1603)
Error: The installation of the package 'mysql' failed with code 1603. (upgrade: upgrading Parallels Panel SQL

We then followed the instructions here regarding Error Code 1603
http://kb.odin.com/en/119476

The install console showed "Parallels Plesk 12.0.18 (Stable) (currently installed)" so it seems it installed plesk 12?

When continuing with the console upgrade the following error occurs

Installing packages
upgrading Parallels Panel SQL server...
MSI: Error! Critical action 'Upgrade data of MySQL Server...' failed:
Command "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin\mysqlmng_adm.exe" --up
grade-server-data --initial-ver=4.1 --target-ver=5.5.41 failed with code 1.
Output:
Stop service...
Removing InnoDB log files...
Start service...
Upgrade only the system tables...
Execute C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\MySQL\bin\mysql_upgrade.exe --for
ce --upgrade-system-tables -P8306 failed[1]: Looking for 'mysql.exe' as: C:\Prog
ram Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\MySQL\bin\mysql.exe
FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed
The --upgrade-system-tables option was used, databases won't be touched.

Failed to install 'C:\ParallelsInstaller\parallels\PANEL-WIN_12.0.18\dist-msi-Mi
crosoft-2003-i386\mysql-admin.msi': Fatal error during installation. (Error code
1603)

ERROR: The installation of the package 'mysql' failed with code 1603. (upgrade:
upgrading Parallels Panel SQL server...)
Not all packages were installed.
Please, contact product technical support.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin>

Any help on resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

I forgot to mention this is Windows Server 2008 R2 and the following event was logged in the windows event viewer several times after the installation is intialised on the install console

The description for Event ID 100 from source MySQL cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\MySQL\bin\mysqld.exe: ready for connections.
Version: '5.5.41' socket: '' port: 8306 MySQL Community Server (GPL)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

We could not resolve this and have decided to restall Plesk on a new setup.

Side note: I find it shocking that most of the forum posts related to this error when upgrading say to do a new install when there is is no easy solution. It is espeically shocking as the software upgrade is promted at the top of the GUI when logging in each time. If it is not a feature that is stable then why promote it so much, especially for a paided for product and espeically when all the official pre checks found no errors!?

Last edited:
Back