• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Error SMTP cannot connect OUTLOOK

Pedro Reinoso

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

When I try to login from outlook the following error happens:

Capture.png

In some computers it works (From the office IP) perfectly but others don't (outside of the office).

Are they any reason, why it doesn't work for all OUTLOOK?

FYI:
* SMTP Service is running.

Last edited:
Check with telnet that you can connect from your workstation to port 25 on your server:

telnet mailserver_IP_address 25

Telnet mail.yourdomain.com 25

if it rejects the connection is that your ip is blocked, remove blacklists.

ell me if your server is Windows or Linux to indicate where the operation to perform

This is the result:
[root@mail ~]# netstat -an | grep 21 | grep -i listen
tcp 0 0 :::21 :::* LISTEN
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 7265821 private/relay

[root@mail ~]# telnet mail.bridgingmedicalaccess.com 25
Trying 69.64.62.126...
Connected to mail.bridgingmedicalaccess.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.boostwebhost.com ESMTP Postfix

It's not that Outlook 2016 issue is it?
I noticed testing your domain at mxtoolbox.com...

250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN

Whereas mine is...

DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN

According to my /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf

Just a thought, maybe it will help.
Kind regards

Lloyd

@Lloyd_mcse the folder you have specified to me, does not exist "sasl" so i'm no able to modified the file "smtpd.conf", do you have any other suggestion? will be appreciated

I can't connect to it from thunderbird, outlook or any mail client. Webmail works fine.
I'm also experiencing the same problem with imap, i can't connect to it.

I just had a look at my CentOS 6.8 and it's doesn't have the file either. Try and create the file, containing...

/etc/sasl2/smtpd.conf
Code:
pwcheck_method: saslauthd
mech_list: DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN

Maybe it will help, if not Igor will probably be able to shed some light on the issue.
Regards

Lloyd

When i run the CMD: Telnet MY_DOMAIN 25:
Says:
Connecting To mail.bridgingmedicalaccess.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed

Hi Pedro Reinoso,

it's pretty wrong to investigate issues without the help of log - files. The log - files should point you directly to your root cause and not guessings or shoots out of the blue.

In addition, the LOCATE - command can often help to find files/folders on your server, if you don't know the path. Pls. install the package "mlocate" and initiate the "mlocate" - database with the first command "updatedb" ( this command will as well UPDATE the "mlocate" - database, so consider to either use this command EVERYTIME, before you use the "locate" - command, or consider to configure a crontab for it, so that the "mlocate" - database is up-to-date ). ;)
You can use for example the command:

locate smtpd.conf

... which should point you to the location of the desired file.

The standard, Plesk - configured SMTPD.CONF when you use postfix would look like this:
Code:
pwcheck_method: auxprop saslauthd
auxprop_plugin: plesk
saslauthd_path: /var/spool/postfix/private/plesk_saslauthd
auto_transition: no
sql_engine: intentionally disabled
log_level: 4

Btw.: Your mail - server is reachable, but there is no "AUTH" defined. ;)

Code:
telnet mail.bridgingmedicalaccess.com 25
Trying 69.64.62.126...
Connected to mail.bridgingmedicalaccess.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.boostwebhost.com ESMTP Postfix
ehlo abc
250-mail.boostwebhost.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 30720000
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
auth login
503 5.5.1 Error: authentication not enabled
=> pls. check your configuration files for misconfigurations!

Sometimes, it is as well a good idea to change the log - level, to get more informations in psa - log - files:

Last edited by a moderator:
... in addition, consider as well to use the well-known "switch-to-qmail-and-backwards-to-postfix" - trick, which solves as well a lot of issues and possible misconfigurations:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component qmail
and afterwards:
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component postfix

@UFHH01 I didn't understood the last message you sent.

I have the smtpd.conf as yours.

Code:
pwcheck_method: auxprop saslauthd
auxprop_plugin: plesk
saslauthd_path: /var/spool/postfix/private/plesk_saslauthd
auto_transition: no
sql_engine: intentionally disabled
log_level: 4

Hi Pedro Reinoso,

due to the fact, that you might use only STANDARD configurations, without possible manual configurations, pls. consider to use the above mentioned "trick", which will install QMAIL instead of postfix. This procedure will not touch any possible eMails and so you don't risk any deletion. ;)
Afterwards, you may use the second command - trick as well, which will then remove qmail and will install postfix again ... and again, you will not risk any eMail - deletion at all for your current eMail - accounts.

If you still experience issues/problems/errors afterwards, pls. consider to POST the depending issues/errors/issues from your MAIL.LOG, located at "/var/log/" for investigations and pls. include as well you main.cf and your master.cf ( your postfix - configuration files!!! ), so that people willing to help you can investigate the configurations with you together!

Back