• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved ERROR while trying to Another transaction in progress!

epertinez

New Pleskian
Some days ago I wanted to back-up psa database and I did it through the only option I could find in the server: Back up from server backup.
That backup tried to back up all server and hosts, so I had to hard kill it because the server is heavy loaded and used.
Anyway hard killing backup processes was not clean (there is no way I found to stop the backup process in a clear way).
Now, trying to update plesk obsidian to 18.0.35 gives me an error:

Trying to backup MySQL database...
ERROR while trying to Another transaction in progress!

And I cannot update the system. I restarted the system today so I understand the database should not be in an unstable state.

Any help will be highly appreciated
Here it is the log:

[2021-05-24 13:50:49.627539] Installation started in background

===> Upgrading database

Trying to start service mysql... active
done
Trying to establish test connection... connected
done
Trying to find psa database... version is 018000000

Check the error reason (see log file: /var/log/plesk/install/plesk_18.0.35_installation.log), fix and try again
***** problem report *****
Bootstrapper has finished action (exec time: 1 sec.): parent_name='panel', sequence='prep', stage='execute', sequence_order='0', operation='install', exec_cmd='/opt/psa/bootstrapper/pp18.0.35-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh prep-install BASE'', m_arch='', exit code: 1, output:
**** Product prep-install started.
Create user 'psaadm' and group 'psaadm'
Group 'psaadm' already exists
Checking for the user 'psaadm'...
User 'psaadm' already exists
Create group 'swkey-data'
Group 'swkey-data' already exists
Trying to add supplementary group 'swkey-data' for user 'psaadm'... already there
Create group 'psaserv'
Group 'psaserv' already exists
Trying to add supplementary group 'psaserv' for user 'psaadm'... already there
Create group 'psacln'
Group 'psacln' already exists
Trying to got legacy variables... done
Trying to save legacy variables... done
Checking that /opt/psa/bin/chrootsh registered as login shell...

===> Performing safe prep-install database actions

===> Upgrading database

Trying to start service mysql... active
done
Trying to establish test connection... connected
done
Trying to find psa database... version is 018000000

[2021-05-24 13:50:52.411901] Bootstrapper has finished action (exec time: 0 sec.): parent_name='PLESK_18_0_35', sequence='prep', stage='rollback', sequence_order='1', operation='install', exec_cmd='rm -f /tmp/pp-bootstrapper-mode.flag; rm -f /var/lock/parallels-panel-maintenance-mode.flag; rm -f /var/lock/parallels-panel-upgrade-failure.flag; :'', m_arch='', exit code: 0, output: ~empty
[2021-05-24 13:50:52.837293] Bootstrapper has finished action (exec time: 0 sec.): parent_name='panel', sequence='prep', stage='rollback', sequence_order='9999', operation='install', exec_cmd='test ! -f /opt/psa/admin/plib/scripts/update-failure-notification.php || /opt/psa/admin/bin/php /opt/psa/admin/plib/scripts/update-failure-notification.php'', m_arch='', exit code: 0, output: ~empty
[2021-05-24 13:50:52.849285] Launching component and product checkers...
[2021-05-24 13:50:52.849368] FileFetcher: get file (~empty)/report-update
[2021-05-24 13:50:52.849590] Downloading file report-update: 0%
[2021-05-24 13:50:52.864753] Downloading file report-update: 100% was finished.
[2021-05-24 13:50:52.865145] FileFetcher: get file (~empty)/pool/PSA_18.0.35_6022/examiners/py_launcher.sh
[2021-05-24 13:50:52.865219] Downloading file pool/PSA_18.0.35_6022/examiners/py_launcher.sh: 0%
[2021-05-24 13:50:52.870795] Downloading file pool/PSA_18.0.35_6022/examiners/py_launcher.sh: 100% was finished.
[2021-05-24 13:50:53.216851] Examination executed ["/root/parallels/pool/PSA_18.0.35_6022/examiners/py_launcher.sh" "/root/parallels/report-update" --op upgrade --rc 1 --start-flag /var/lock/plesk-report-update.flag --to=18.0.35.1 --from=18.0.34] with code 0
Output:
~empty
Error:
~empty
[2021-05-24 13:50:53.217730] Execute command /opt/psa/admin/bin/send-error-report install --version 18.0.35
[2021-05-24 13:50:53.219605] Warning: Failed to attach to cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd/user/root/tasks, installer might be unexpectedly killed later by the system
[2021-05-24 13:50:53.225013] Error: An error occurred during performing of installation PREP actions (see log for details). Installation was rolled back.
Warning! Not all packages were installed.
Please check if your system services are operable.
Please resolve this issue and try to install the packages again.
Visit Plesk Help Center to search for a solution.

Last edited:
hello @epertinez ,
the backup of PSA database is done during every day routines and usually stored at /var/lib/psa/dumps/

as about the running transactions, you can login to the MariaDB using psa db command and execute show processlist command
to identify running threads.
also you can use show engine innodb status command. in this case you need to see TRANSACTIONS section of output.

to terminate some transaction you need to invoke kill THREAD_PID command.
but please be very careful, it may lead to the database corruption.

Also, I'd suggest to check that there is enough free space at the volume where the MariaDB's datadir(usually /var/lib/mysql) is stored.

I know that dump because it saved my day last week. I ran out of space some days ago and that created some problems, one of them being plesk being unable to upload its own keys.
When I solved the space problem I went to manually updating plesk licence keys (from the interface, not the cmd)... the result was a total mess, with plesk deleting all psa althogether.

Luckily I found/i knew this back up dump and I could restore the configuration in no time.

In my case, those dumps stoped working in may 5th. I don't know why.
My last dump was in may the 5th even when .last-dumps says it has backed up today.
Yet mysql.daily.dum.X.gz datetime is May 5th.

How can I start the scheduled backup again? How can I copy those critical files out of the system and into Dropbox daily?

@epertinez ,

those backups prepared by daily plesk task with cron:
:~# cat /etc/cron.daily/50plesk-daily
#!/bin/sh
### Copyright 1999-2021. Plesk International GmbH. All rights reserved.

# install_statistics
/opt/psa/bin/sw-engine-pleskrun /opt/psa/admin/plib/DailyMaintainance/script.php >/dev/null 2>&1

# install_mysqldump
/opt/psa/bin/mysqldump.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
by mysqldump.sh script.

mysqldump.sh script is a part of plesk-core-utilites package:
:~# dpkg -S /opt/psa/bin/mysqldump.sh
plesk-core-utilities: /opt/psa/bin/mysqldump.sh
the example above from ubuntu server, but the same is correc to for centos-like OS'es.

so you need to verify that package plesk-core-utilities is installed on your system and you can execute it manually from command line.

in case there's no such package in your plesk installation - it may be seriously broken.
You can try to repair it by call command plesk repair installation.

but please have in view that this procedure required free disk space (it is recommended at least 3 GB for linux system).
you can free some diskspace by call apt-get clean command (or yum clean all for rpm-based OS'es)

And if you not sure how to solve issues above I'd recommend you contact Plesk Technical support.

The problem is that backup process is not working correctly...

# /opt/psa/bin/mysqldump.sh
Dump databases: psa mysql horde apsc roundcubemail phpmyadmin
/opt/psa/bin/mysqldump.sh: line 107: : No such file or directory
mysqldump: Got error: 1932: "Table 'mysql.innodb_index_stats' doesn't exist in engine" when using LOCK TABLES
ERROR while trying to Dump databases
Check the error reason, fix and try again

How do I solve it?

The post talks about innodb_table_stats but the one I had wrong was innodb_index_stats, so I did what you said and the result was the error persisted.
Anyway I found another post with info to recreate index_stats table.
I matched both posts and ended up solving the problem somehow (who knows if doing so I created another one..)

Back