• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Every month I keep getting error by email: Plesk key update deferral notification

zigojacko

Basic Pleskian
Every month I get an email notification that is like:

Unable to update EXT.05688703.0010: an error occurred while processing your key. You can try to retrieve the key manually in Plesk (Tools & Settings > License Management) or let Plesk try to update it in the next 24 hours. If you do not want to receive this notification any more, remove this key from Plesk.​

When I log into Plesk, there never seems to be an issue.

Why does it happen and should I do something to stop it (obviously aside from unsubscribing from these email notifications)?

I asked it more of a query for discussion rather than needing support - unless this needs support (which I don't think it does)?

I just wondered why this keeps cropping up - we've noticed it on numerous different servers over the years. Was just wondering what causes it.
There is clearly some kind of problem with your license key. The problem can be both on your side and on our side. If this is really a key problem, then license support will help you to understand it better by the link that I gave above.

There is clearly some kind of problem with your license key. The problem can be both on your side and on our side. If this is really a key problem, then license support will help you to understand it better by the link that I gave above.

Okay thanks. It's not really a pressing issue as when I log into Plesk, there is no issue with the key/license (it seems to fix itself) but when I get a chance, I will send a message via the form you linked me to.

Would be interested to see if anyone else replies to this thread with similar experiences of this though.

Is a lack of coordination between the moment when the server is trying to renew the key and the moment when the payment crons runs on Plesk side.
Example:
Your monthly license expire on 13th of the month.
Then on May 13 at 1 AM, your server is trying to renew the license, but there is no new license *yet*, so is sending the "License expired" warning.
In the *afternoon* of May 13, Plesk is charging your credit card, generate a new license key, and on May 14th, at 1 AM, your server is getting that new license.

Is a lack of coordination between the moment when the server is trying to renew the key and the moment when the payment crons runs on Plesk side.
Example:
Your monthly license expire on 13th of the month.
Then on May 13 at 1 AM, your server is trying to renew the license, but there is no new license *yet*, so is sending the "License expired" warning.
In the *afternoon* of May 13, Plesk is charging your credit card, generate a new license key, and on May 14th, at 1 AM, your server is getting that new license.

Ah this makes sense. Thanks for explaining that.

So basically, there is nothing I can do about it from my side?

I've got exactly the same issue as this.
Email subject: Plesk key update deferral notification
Email content: Unable to update EXT.05294193.0020: an error occurred while processing your key. You can try to retrieve the key manually in Plesk (Tools & Settings > License Management) or let Plesk try to update it in the next 24 hours. If you do not want to receive this notification any more, remove this key from Plesk.

I manually went in to Tools & Settings --> Licence Management. Under "Additional License Keys" I could see the key there and it says that it is the "ext-dnssec" key for application "DNSSEC for Plesk (Bundled)". I've clicked "Retrieve Keys" back on the "Plesk License Key" tab and it now ends with ".0021", so has updated fine.

Looking in /var/log/plesk/panel.log, I can find the error:
Code:
[2020-10-25 03:42:33.106] ERR [panel] KeyUpdate Result code: 2 Unspecified error
[2020-10-25 03:42:33.106] ERR [panel] KeyUpdate Result desc: License key is not prolongated yet

I'm keen to understand what I can do to make the scheduled update work so that I don't get this monthly failure email. If what @JulianDot says is true, it's a bit poor if the billing system cycle is so closely coupled with the licence keys update timings that admins get monthly failures because of it.

A feature should be added in order to disable such annoying emails. I really hate getting my mail full with "plesk key update deferral notification"

Back